Fork Stanchion repair

Vinnige

Hi

Looking for a service provider that repair damage to stanchions. 

Regards

Edited by Vinnige

Not possible

Chips can be filled and smoothed but deep scratches from worn bushes and failure to keep to minimum intervals is Not repairable.

New bushes and New ( ND tunned) stanchions or CSU is the only vourse of action 

Been down the road of anodizing again, did not work. I had a company in Durban anodize the stanchions after sanding smooth the damage. Despite following normal anodizing process, the coating looked great, but could come off with rubbing of finger nail. With another fork I had, took it to Cyclelab, they ordered new stanchion and steer tube - cost a bit, about half the price of a new fork, but basically fork good as new. Very happy with the results.

I have another older fork which a mate of mine is going to try repair. He wants to press out the stanchion and push in a new one. Will see how that goes.

2 hours ago, Vinnige said:

Hi

Looking for a service provider that repair damage to stanchions. 

Regards

Could you Post a Picture Please

Thank you so much!   

Really valuable amazing community to share info freely.   

Mine is n stanchion of a dropper seatpost.   Picture to follow. 

Unfortunately badly damaged.   

Hi here at sgb there are certain models that we can replace with nd tuned stantions.We have all the right tooling for the job.

Kind Regards

Jaco

30 minutes ago, Vinnige said:

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-20 at 13.08.32.jpg

I have a Rapide dropper with similar looking external damage, it's not the same as fork stanchion wear for the Rapide. This damage is cosmetic in the case of the Rapide post. There is a cartridge inside which can be replaced. Also other parts that wear out which can be replaced in a service kit. Unfortunately, my model doesn't have a service kit, repairing the external stanchion is not going to fix it.

On the up side, the dropper stanchion is not a sealing surface, so with a service you could possibly keep it running for a while still, depending on the damage.

I've resurrected an old Reverb with badly damaged stanchion, someone gave me, using IGUS bushings, and it still does regular service on my dad's bike 

I feel somebody should how did that wear actually happening? I dropper is not like a fork that’s constantly moving and subject to scratches if there is dirt under the seal. Seems like this is attributable to something more going wrong and rubbing on the stanchion 

16 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

I feel somebody should how did that wear actually happening? I dropper is not like a fork that’s constantly moving and subject to scratches if there is dirt under the seal. Seems like this is attributable to something more going wrong and rubbing on the stanchion 

Dry From Over Washing and Possible use of Agressive Chemicals.

Stanchion should always have some Lubricant.

6 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Dry From Over Washing and Possible use of Agressive Chemicals.

Stanchion should always have some Lubricant.

Hi not to hijack the op's thread but does that also include fork stanchions and if yes what lube?