Shimano Di2 Shifter Leaking

GorillaBoy

Hi Everyone. 

I have a left Shimano R9150 Di2 shifter that is leaking oil from somewhere inside the shifter. Has anyone dealt with this problem or do you perhaps know someone that fixes these shifters? The shifter itself is spotless and shifts perfectly. It’s just the oil leak… 

Greetings

Hanro Geldenhuys

R9150???

Oil leak? At first I thought you meant 9170 but 9150 is a mechanical shifter. If its got  leak then you have serious problems. You sure its not water after riding in the rain?

Edited by DieselnDust

Assuming that's the 9170..
1. check the bleed screw and o-ring. I have often managed to get these seated badly / cross threaded. Should be an easy fix to get it sitting right if this is the issue.

2. check the hydraulic line. again if this is where it is leaking it is reasonably easy to fit a new olive and insert to reapir this

3. You're on your own and likely looking for a replacement

If it is indeed a hydraulic shifter for hydraulic disc brake...here is one of the possible reasons as it took me a long time to figure out..

When changing worn pads, new pads are thicker and may require that the space between the pads needs widening....so with a plastic tyre lever one can push open the pads/brake pots, however, it is also recommended to open the hydraulic filling cap on the hoods so fluid can overflow so to speak...if you don't open the cap to reset levels...there's a small bladder in the hood that is used to compensate for pressure changes exerted by the hydraulic piston when you pull on the brakes....there is a small pinhole on the inside of the housing of the bladder to allow the bladder to rupture if over pressurised...a tiny amount of oil will seep out there every time you apply brakes after the rupture...cursed me for ages and was always topping up until I found the pinhole....

And bladders are not sold separately unless on ebay or Amazon or the like so it could cost you a new brake unit entirely if you are able to find a single side only!

Be careful of adjusting piston gaps!!!!

4 minutes ago, capediver said:

If it is indeed a hydraulic shifter for hydraulic disc brake...here is one of the possible reasons as it took me a long time to figure out..

When changing worn pads, new pads are thicker and may require that the space between the pads needs widening....so with a plastic tyre lever one can push open the pads/brake pots, however, it is also recommended to open the hydraulic filling cap on the hoods so fluid can overflow so to speak...if you don't open the cap to reset levels...there's a small bladder in the hood that is used to compensate for pressure changes exerted by the hydraulic piston when you pull on the brakes....there is a small pinhole on the inside of the housing of the bladder to allow the bladder to rupture if over pressurised...a tiny amount of oil will seep out there every time you apply brakes after the rupture...cursed me for ages and was always topping up until I found the pinhole....

And bladders are not sold separately unless on ebay or Amazon or the like so it could cost you a new brake unit entirely if you are able to find a single side only!

Be careful of adjusting piston gaps!!!!

Yeah the expansion chamber bladder could be leaking and any oil above it will eventually leak out from under the master cylinder cover in the hydraulic units. Its one of the reasons the hoods in that generation of Dura Ace and Ultegra wear out quite quickly. Leaks were not uncommon.

• 11 months later...

It seems these videos and the chinese imports are all for non-di2. Am I correct that the bladder is not accessible on R9170, or is it just a different process?