Road tyre sealant

Nielv1

6 hours ago, Thomo said:

So Orangeseal failed me today. ☹️

No obvious reason why.

Not a particularly big puncture, and adequate amount of sealant in the tyre.

Anyway, now to wash down a sealant covered biked. 🤦‍♂️

Bliksem. Sorry to hear about this. 
was it the original or enduro version?

and how big was the cut? I had the same not long ago - had to use one of those really fat plugs to get home.

no sealant on earth was going to help a glass gash that size.

3 hours ago, Thomo said:

I wonder if this could've contributed... need to check if there are any dates on the the bottle. 

20230122_164635.jpg

100%
and I think this might actually be the main reason Orange seal works. It’s fresh.

Ordering the stuff is a total nightmare - they make it per order to ensure that we only have the freshest sealant to offer.

Depending on demand and the season this order time period can take a very long while for an order to fulfil

Edited by Furbz

Ok, seems I may have myself to blame.

That said, will definitely pay more attention to this when purchasing sealant.

1674454278927.jpg

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

Ok, seems I may have myself to blame.

That said, will definitely pay more attention to this when purchasing sealant.

1674454278927.jpg

Also not the perfect sealant for high pressure tires(over 3 bar)

rather use the road version (Original version) Endurance is better suited for MTB and Gravel applications. The Original is more suited for high pressure - but does not last as long as Endurance.

10 minutes ago, Furbz said:

Also not the perfect sealant for high pressure tires(over 3 bar)

rather use the road version (Original version) Endurance is better suited for MTB and Gravel applications. The Original is more suited for high pressure - but does not last as long as Endurance.

Noted. I generally use the original but at some point gave the Endurance a try.

4 hours ago, Thomo said:

Noted. I generally use the original but at some point gave the Endurance a try.

you are not alone in this - I to have been pedalling around recently with Endurance in my road bike. i did not have any original around and decided to top up with Endurance to ensure i at least had something in the tire - it happens

Tubeless Sealant Works well on Thorn Punctures which is a High Percentage of All Punctures in RSA.

Glass and Metal Object Punctures it Does Not Really Work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 8:35 PM, Nielv1 said:

Hi fellow bikehubbers,

I’m completely new to road cycling.

Any recommendations for a road tyre tube sealant to use? Seeing so many brands in store but not sure which ones are worth anything.

An old thread but still very relevant. Not quite a thought on sealant, but tire selection->

I recently went back to a road tubeless setup and what a journey it was. I do not recommend the continental GP5000 product for two reasons:

1-that the TLR / TR range are not compatible with all tubeless road rims. They don’t seat evenly on all rims and will appear un-true on the truist wheel 🙃

2-that if you needed to put a tube in if the wheels had an unrecoverable puncture, they will not come off the rim outside of a workshop with mega tire levers. Road side you will need to call an Uber to get home.

I actually ended up going back to the giant OEM tubeless tires that came with my propel, and they “just work”.

Some rim/tyre combos do seem to work better than others, with hookless rims complicating things even further. 🙈

I haven't tried any Conti options yet and will certainly approach with caution given what you've said. 🙃

Tubeless certainly is a journey with very few dull moments. 🤣

Haha yip some weird tire/rim combos. My last set of tubed gp5000’s were a mission to get on/off the rims. I have now gone tubeless using Pirelli Pzero TLR and could not be happier.

1 hour ago, Kom said:

An old thread but still very relevant. Not quite a thought on sealant, but tire selection->

I recently went back to a road tubeless setup and what a journey it was. I do not recommend the continental GP5000 product for two reasons:

1-that the TLR / TR range are not compatible with all tubeless road rims. They don’t seat evenly on all rims and will appear un-true on the truist wheel 🙃

2-that if you needed to put a tube in if the wheels had an unrecoverable puncture, they will not come off the rim outside of a workshop with mega tire levers. Road side you will need to call an Uber to get home.

I actually ended up going back to the giant OEM tubeless tires that came with my propel, and they “just work”.

My journey to GP5000 TL was a misery. had a few 100km on, got a neat sidewall gash and that was tickets. I now ride Spez Roubaix Pro 2Bliss 32cs. It's proper-bliss... even did Eroica on them. Seat well, wear well and lower pressure/higher volume works well for me