Cape Cycle Tour on an ebike

Johan van der Walt

21 hours ago, GLuvsMtb said:

Doing it with the missus. Both of us on E Bikes. I will use my 800w battery only, while the missus will use the 800w battery as well as the 250w range extender. 

I comfortably get over 1000m of elevation and 70kms on the 800w battery, most of it on trails. A slightly slower pace at lower setting will definitely help with having decent reserves (both battery and legs) for Suikerbossie and beyond. 

I did check this morning.

My Darrvin has 500W.h batteries.  I used about 400W.h for 60km and 670m elevation, including a decent head wind for about 20km.

IMG-20221231-WA0009.jpg.b9970be32c9fca5ae3ef0492b954c67d.jpg

Thus, even my buggered knees should be able to complete the CTCT with a 800W.h battery 👍👍

Disclaimer .... I have seen what the South-Easter can do to battery range !!  And we know the statistics of wind and this event ....

51 minutes ago, Zebra said:

This chap did 120km, in 4:10 minutes, and 962m elevation, on a single battery; CTCT has 1200 meters elevation, but is 11-odd km shorter, just food for thought.

what he says about not REGULARLY running an eBike battery below 10%-20% holds water, I think, unsure what ChrisF thinks about doing a deepish discharge ONCE?

ONCE ..... During my first year I twice rode the battery fully down.  Once it actually shut down 800m from home.  5 000km later the battery is still at 95% health according to the app, practically it still performs properly.

Did they program the shut down to be at a safe level ?

Was I just lucky ?

I now try to not take the batteries below 20% SOC, 10% as a minimum.

The pic in the previous post .... I could have just made it home on the remaining charge.  With two bars left I stopped and swopped out 👍  o well .... will see in a few years if it was worth the effort 😋

I was also doing a bit of a discharge home. Essentially maxed the power setting from Stellies back to Somerset West. I do this about once a month

BB940F17-E7EF-48D6-8018-A8A8ADF3834A.png

I see my Giant manual has this in bold  :

"After 15 normal charges, or at least every 3 months, discharge the EnergyPak completely by riding the bicycle before charging the EnergyPak again. This will increase the lifespan of the EnergyPak."

I wonder?

1 hour ago, mazambaan said:

I see my Giant manual has this in bold  :

"After 15 normal charges, or at least every 3 months, discharge the EnergyPak completely by riding the bicycle before charging the EnergyPak again. This will increase the lifespan of the EnergyPak."

I wonder?

Possibly aimed at those that hardly ever ride their bikes ??

Certainly not good to leave a battery for months on end.

Totally off topic. I see people talk about range extenders.

Now. Which would you choose, a range extender or a secondary battery?

And where do you buy these?

Edited by Mike Nel

36 minutes ago, Mike Nel said:

Totally off topic. I see people talk about range extenders.

Now. Which would you choose, a range extender or a secondary battery?

And where do you buy these?

Not all ebikes can take a range extender.

A range extender adds about 50% to the range.  For many this enough.

The range extender fits like a water bottle, thus no awkward back packs.

It just seem impossible to find a range extender, I have been enquiring about it since I bought my bike in August. Every time I ask its not available and every time the price is higher. Started at R25 000, yesterday I was told its now R35 000 but still no indication when it will be available.

Range extender is 500w, a second battery at 625w

A second battery will give better range and is cheaper but very inconvenient and also not available. 

Edited by Johan van der Walt

10 minutes ago, Johan van der Walt said:

It just seem impossible to find a range extender, I have been enquiring about it at Cycle lab since I bought my bike in August. Every time I ask its not available and every time the price is higher. Started at R25 000, yesterday I was told its now R35 000 but still no indication when it will be available.

Range extender is 500w, a second battery at 625w

A second battery will give better range and is cheaper but very inconvenient and also not available. 

500W.h for the range extender is EXCELLENT 👍👍

Now to get one  ... and at a realistic price

Johann, I don’t think this is the solution for your needs, but I previously have under-slung a 500w battery underneath my down tube, and have it currently mounted ABOVE (on) the down tube, meaning, in theory at least, one COULD ride with a regular battery both above and below the down tube, esp. if your frame has water bottle mountings underneath the down tube… sounds dodgy, but it was well secured, with an additional safety strap…

…on lightly aggressive off-road, the tyre would occasionally brush the battery case (!), but would NOT interfere on-road whatsoever.….JUST putting it out there, for interest sake…

1st pic under, 2nd pic above…

7E6C5CC8-F7D7-4D0B-9013-3E73008377D7.jpeg

0E9A0752-4BEE-4262-8BA0-E73043639EF5.jpeg

I don't want to be that e-bikes sucks guy (they have their place) but putting slicks on the thing, meeting somewhere half way with a battery and R30k range extenders sounds daft. I'm hardly the fittest and I don't struggle on a second hand R5k road bike.

Uhmmmm, got a nice reminder this morning ....😬

The Cape town South Easter is a battery eater !!! 🙈

IMG-20230105-WA0003.jpg.03484d52e89eecf03d04e4d84d1082e1.jpg

47km and 1150m elevation and the 625Wh battery was on its reserve light.

Saved the last bit for the couple off grade 3 climbs on the way home.  Managed to complete the 55km ride without the battery shutting down.

EDIT - Two days later, no wind .... 375W.h used for 55km and 726m elevation.

Good weather, and a decent set of knees .... CTCT is very doable on a single battery.

Now if only I had a decent pair of knees ... 😋

Edited by ChrisF