Old Syncros stems on new Scott 2023

Wapper

Hi. Has anyone fitted one of the old Syncros stems on a new Scott, with the covered headset? I want to upgrade my stem but note sure that the old ones will accommodate the plastic cover, and if they do, will any other stem work as well? I like the clean look and don't want to compromise that with a stem that does not allow all the cover to be replaced. With the New Syncros stems that do have the cutout, one are very limited for choice 

Do you mean the top cover that has an angled down section at the back?

On my spark (2018) the spacers, stem and top cap all go together, maybe even the headset bearing cover. If i wanted to put another type of stem and handle bar i would need to change the other items as well.

When I upgraded I stuck with the Syncros stuff and it worked just fine.

Hope this helps.

14 minutes ago, Marcv said:

Do you mean the top cover that has an angled down section at the back?

On my spark (2018) the spacers, stem and top cap all go together, maybe even the headset bearing cover. If i wanted to put another type of stem and handle bar i would need to change the other items as well.

When I upgraded I stuck with the Syncros stuff and it worked just fine.

Hope this helps.

The new ones have a cut out on the sides as well to make the cover fit.

IMG-20230116-WA0004.jpeg

Welcome to the world of stupid cable routing.

You can use whatever stem you want, but it'll look terrible and take on more water (and everything that it brings with it) than the Titanic.

Order the length and angle you want from a Scott dealer for the 2023 model. When you fit the new stem have a new headset bearing handy as you may find the existing one is rusting already. If not, coat it in grease to be safe

The new stock on syncros stems are supposed to be arriving in SA this year. The older stems wont be able to accommodate the new look. 

Go to a bike shop and ask them to order you one. 

6 hours ago, Wapper said:

The new ones have a cut out on the sides as well to make the cover fit.

IMG-20230116-WA0004.jpeg

No wonder you want to change that, it's uglier than a bag of dicks.