148 to 142 hub

mrJohan

Hi. Have someone tried cutting 3mm on both side of the end caps?

In need of a 142mm thru axle 32h mtb hub

Might be easier to modify a 142mm QR hub to a through axle?

Don't think you'll be able to align both the freebody and rotor positioning with end cap modification. 

Going from 142 to 148, no problem with a conversion kit, my one bike got this front and back, work 100%.

Going from 148 to 142, not so easy.

What frame do you have?  If it is rather flexible like my Rapidé, you can try to fit the 148 on a 142 frame and then you don't have to worry about the rotor spacing, it will be correct.

Edited by TheoG

Its the Syncros hub on the new Scott spark with alloy wheelset. The frame is a Cannondale scalpel 2020

1 minute ago, 117 said:

Still can't see the Pic.

But... I might have a hub for you. Let me dig a little

Thanks. The bike will be arriving on Thursday but need a solution so long

OK, I have a m8000 hub body, and a m8010 thru axle. They're not compatible. 

I had a problem with my qr hub in the past and the lbs rebuilt the m8010 hub (which is thru axle) to a quick release. I have the remaining hub parts which you're welcome to use to rebuild yours

IMG_20230206_204353.jpg.c99df0dc2f3d2351b4cc1fe36b2e3ebd.jpg

IMG_20230206_204416.jpg.d6a0f03bec1b09a954056fc4f20d910e.jpg

The thru axle part above is brand new. The hub is my old m8000 32h. The thru axle part does not fit into the hub though

Failing all that, call @Kiwi at Rapide.co.za , I know they do a 32h thru axle hub in 142mm - I have one of theirs now with a 12sp micro spline freebody

DM me if you want to try the hub parts I have. Mahala

You can get adapters from 142 to 148 as long as the hub isn't centrelock, but not 148 to 142. The issue is that the spacing between the cassette and the brake rotor is where the extra 6mm is, and you won't be able to make that up by adjusting RD and caliper spacing.

Rebuild with new hub or find another wheel.

23 minutes ago, droo said:

You can get adapters from 142 to 148 as long as the hub isn't centrelock, but not 148 to 142. The issue is that the spacing between the cassette and the brake rotor is where the extra 6mm is, and you won't be able to make that up by adjusting RD and caliper spacing.

Rebuild with new hub or find another wheel.

I found adaptors (non boost to boost) for center-lock hubs, it does however convert to 6 bolt which is no problem for me ... :).

https://www.summitbikes.co.za/index.php?id_product=1406&controller=product&search_query=boost+conversion&results=23

You could try machining just 2mm off each side the frame will definitely not have a issue with 2mm flex that way it might still work. You are going to need to dish the wheel anyway for the Cannondale if I'm not mistaken. 

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

You could try machining just 2mm off each side the frame will definitely not have a issue with 2mm flex that way it might still work. You are going to need to dish the wheel anyway for the Cannondale if I'm not mistaken. 

I'm riding like this for months now, the flex is not much, the frame can easily take up that flex (depending on the frame).

I didn't remove anything in fact I simply popped a boost wheel into a non-boost frame, and it work 100%.

1 minute ago, TheoG said:

I'm riding like this for months now, the flex is not much, the frame can easily take up that flex (depending on the frame).

I didn't remove anything in fact I simply popped a boost wheel into a non-boost frame, and it work 100%.

I have also done it, a longer axel might be needed. It's 6mm difference which is like a fat spacer but a little bit off won't be a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I have also done it, a longer axel might be needed. It's 6mm difference which is like a fat spacer but a little bit off won't be a bad thing. 

Yes definitely need a longer thru axle.