Brake lever too tight after pads replacement

Piernas Flacas

Hi guys, after I replaced my brake pads the front lever is super tight it almost doesn't move and the pads are rubbing too close to the rotor.  What should I do? Bleed them to release some oil? Bleed both or just front/rear? TIA.

There's two things you can try, put some old pads back with the disc out and slightly push the pads apart with a flat screwdriver. Don't try with the new pads, it may damage them. Second thing is to let out a few drops of oil from the bleed screw.

I normally put the new pads in the back, ride them a bit to settle down if it is tight. Older ones put in the front.

57 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

I am no mechanic, but would think that u did not push the pistons in deep enough. You will have to push the pads in deeper into the block.

I did but maybe wasn't enough.

56 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

There's two things you can try, put some old pads back with the disc out and slightly push the pads apart with a flat screwdriver. Don't try with the new pads, it may damage them. Second thing is to let out a few drops of oil from the bleed screw.

I normally put the new pads in the back, ride them a bit to settle down if it is tight. Older ones put in the front.

Yes, I also fit the new ones at the back and there's no issues there. The old back ones went to the front. So, should I try and bleed from the caliper or the lever?

13 minutes ago, Piernas Flacas said:

......So, should I try and bleed from the caliper or the lever?

SRAM ?  Shimano ?  other ...

possibly the model number to date it.

"Old" Shimano was bled from the bottom up, and worked very easily.

"New" Shimano is bled from the top down.

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

SRAM ?  Shimano ?  other ...

possibly the model number to date it.

"Old" Shimano was bled from the bottom up, and worked very easily.

"New" Shimano is bled from the top down.

Shimano SLX about 2 years old. So my question is more about from where should I let some oil out as suggested.

Funnel on the top, and do the normal bleed process.

I tried to "just let out the air" last year .... ended up getting a bubble into the system .... ended in a complete re-bleed.

Easier to just do it right the first time.

Bottom bleed screw. You don't let much, drop or two. I have only done this once, it did work.

I think the situation you describe can happen when the brakes are bled with slightly worn pads. Then when you put new pads there is too much oil.