From Bytes to Bikes: How a Cycling Enthusiast Sparked {type}DEV's Unconventional Sponsorship Adventure

News bot

Once upon a time, in the chaotic year of 2020, a software development company known as {type}DEV was busy adapting to the world’s “new normal”. Their CEO, Dave “Captain Caffeine” Jacobs, was determined to keep his team’s spirits high and productivity strong despite the COVID-19 pandemic’s challenges. Little did he know that a chance encounter […]

View full article

I remember that post well. Stu Marais came into my radarscreen years back when seemingly out the blue he burgled the totalsports challenge from the perennial king Dan Hugo in an epic battle. It was a smart move and well calculated. I seem to recall the post was basically a last ditch/given up on all other fronts and time to move on from sports/biking, glad to see it worked. Glad to see companies have got the vision to sponsor cycling and treasure the rewards it brings.

I will always be grateful for what {type}DEV have done not only for me but all the other riders I have been privileged to call team mates. It has been a a fantastic journey, and even though my professional riding career has come to an end, i am stoked to see that their support lives on in Imbuko{type}DEV.

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I remember that post well. Stu Marais came into my radarscreen years back when seemingly out the blue he burgled the totalsports challenge from the perennial king Dan Hugo in an epic battle. It was a smart move and well calculated. I seem to recall the post was basically a last ditch/given up on all other fronts and time to move on from sports/biking, glad to see it worked. Glad to see companies have got the vision to sponsor cycling and treasure the rewards it brings.

There are two speedy Stuart Marais out there. One who used to race multisport(as you remembered), but also happened to be quite fast on the bike, and then another Stu who predominantly focused on XCO racing whom this article focuses on.

9 hours ago, renayg said:

There are two speedy Stuart Marais out there. One who used to race multisport(as you remembered), but also happened to be quite fast on the bike, and then another Stu who predominantly focused on XCO racing whom this article focuses on.

oh jeez. well I stand corrected!

a bit of research and i could have worked that out very quickly myself!

Thanks Renay for clearing that one up. And don\'t stress Shebee, I used to get emails asking about my \"latest triathlone win\" all the time, haha. But yes, different Stuart Marais.

13 hours ago, _Pat_ said:

Thanks Renay for clearing that one up. And don\'t stress Shebee, I used to get emails asking about my \"latest triathlone win\" all the time, haha. But yes, different Stuart Marais.

Hello Stuart, I went to go find that original thread. It makes very interesting reading, especially with the context now that this was just a few months before covid pulled the floor under the feet of the events scene.

Incredible that it actually worked and you got a ride through it, great story.

Also, I see Giant as a sleeping giant(sorry) of the local bike industry. Things have changed a lot since every second mtb had their logo on it at races here, so awesome that they are backing a team.

It really was an incredible story, and the timing was miraculous as I was literally down to my last cents, having to win my last few races just to make ends meet. So am grateful that they looked after me through Rona. Could probably make for a pretty interesting book, haha.

But yes, Giant has come along in leaps and bounds, the new Anthem is pretty incredible to ride and really up there with the popular brands at a much lower price point.