Converting Gravel bike (105 R7020) to 1x

Maniax

one option I did conjur up last night in my attempt to bat above my average on Zwift was to replace the 105FD with a GRX FD.  maybe it can handle muck better as the 105 isnt really built for that terrain? so that plus attempting a full housing below the bottom bracket (my momsen does internal cabling so rerouting dont think will work), could be a potential solution?

edit: I will attempt the full housing first. 

My setup is due for new drivetrain but will hold off until I know.

One thing I did read last night (that I didnt even think of) is the noise from 1x conversions from the chain angle on the biggest or smallest chain.... man I hate noise...

Edited by Maniax

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OP :  are you sure the problem is not with the shifter (left side)? 105 and Ultegra do have issues (specifically left side) - sorted mine with a YouTube video (of which I don't have the link anymore):ph34r:    

15 hours ago, Maniax said:

That might just work... so I can run this until it reaches the narrow tube pushing up through the back of the seat post?

If you can take a picture I might be able to answer that 😄

But yes it is a 'standard' Shimano cable end. your LBS should have one lying around

21 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Personally, I like the idea, I converted a MTB 3x 9 to 1x10 and love it, I bought a 42t Narrow wide from Rapide and the 10 speed rear derailleur I had, I use it around our weekday ride and love it. I use a 11-36 cassette, suffer a little on the climbs but in our area, I could get to the top of most climbs. Maybe investigate if your shifter will work with a 11speed XT derailleur, you will find them in the classified section

Going 1 x 11 is a good and cheap plan .I ride with a 32 oval x shimano 11 x 46 cassette .

12 minutes ago, eala said:

Going 1 x 11 is a good and cheap plan .I ride with a 32 oval x shimano 11 x 46 cassette .

any noise from chain ring when chain is on high and low cogs?

1 hour ago, Maniax said:

any noise from chain ring when chain is on high and low cogs?

The Noise Should Go Away After a Couple Hundred KM's

Chain Ring needs to bed in.

Minimal noise .I also have eagle on other bikes .Cost of a GX sram cassette is more than a complete 1 x 11 groupset 

3 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

The Noise Should Go Away After a Couple Hundred KM's

Chain Ring needs to bed in.

good to know

My bike is currently with the lbs.  firstly to repair a buggerup they did just before the cosmos and to sleeve the bottom cables.  I'll test that by looking for some muddy bits.  Im still leaning towards 1x but forking out 7k on a drive train still hurts my insides (10km if I get a grx 1x crank as well - the chain alignment of slapping a 42 narrow-wide on a 105 crank bothers me a bit).

Will let you guys know how it goes.   thanks for the input so far 

On 4/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, Spinnekop said:

Have been running 105 with a 1x setup for about a year now.

11-33 at the back if I remember correctly.

Given I don't do a LOT of climbing in and around Pretoria the 11-33 works just fine.

2023-01-13.JPEG

What a sexy bike 😍😍

regarding the OP :

can’t you just getaway with a csixx 1x ultegra chainring (that’s what I have on my gravel bike, xcadey crank which was previously used on a 2x ultegra setup) and the biggest 11spd road cassette your RD’s cage can take ?

27 minutes ago, Jbr said:

What a sexy bike 😍😍

regarding the OP :

can’t you just getaway with a csixx 1x ultegra chainring (that’s what I have on my gravel bike, xcadey crank which was previously used on a 2x ultegra setup) and the biggest 11spd road cassette your RD’s cage can take ?

thanks.that she is.... 

did you just swop the two rings for the one csixx? It will be probably the route I would follow.... I think the 105 can handle up to 11-40 (unofficially).  

but being the woosy I am... I might just get a 11-36 as a test with a 42t front. and test.  if the noise is too much or the rd does like the setup i can pop the two rings back on... still contemplating. but will first see what the result is with sleaving the cables.

Edited by Maniax

the guy I bought the crank from had it 2x on his road bike, I used the 1x ultegra/da compatible ring from csixx on the gravel, but I personally never used 2x on that crank on the gravel bike

I did a 1x conversion on Ultegra 8000 a little while ago. I thought it worked really well. The bike shifts and rides well.  I’ve used a Wolftooth chainring, and run a 11-40 XTR cassette with a GRX rear derailleur. Those Csixx 1x chainrings also look great. It they were an option I would have chosen that instead. 

Bit pricey but I had a couple fails trying to adapt other rings to fit on this crank. Still a bit of a mission to find the right bolts too, I’ve tried about every chainring bolts available in SA 😅

IMG_7694.png

I've got a 1x11 GRX setup on my gravel bike (40T chainring and 11-40 cassette) and it's lovely. Get the GRX derailleur and you can get a 40T or 42T from Csixx or Ali Racing works or the likes to work on your crank. 

Then all that you are really paying for is: derailleur, chainring, chain, cassette and a cable) 

That's my 2c

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.  I took all the advice and did some testing (still testing).  I got an XT 11-40 cassette (new from a hubber at a bargain) and a new chain from evobikes.   I also got a road crank spesific 42T narrow-wide oval ring (Absolute Black).  total cost R3.5k

But I got the bikeshop to insolate my FD cable under the bottom bracket.  They didnt have the one proposed here in the forum though.

IMG_20230408_215152.jpg.152e35141c3f239d82224e60fa1ddbf9.jpg

So test 1. I installed the 11-40 and new chain.  took some negotiating with the 105 RD, but it runs well.  so I have the 50/34 front and 11-40 back.  The range is enormous.

IMG_20230417_213144.jpg.2877b7d9e545ff8a2a19b6aaedfeb4eb.jpg

I did a 60km ride gravel ride today and only rode on the 50T (I pulled a VWA!  legend).  Had enough range and no issues.    During the dry season I might keep this setup.  but the challenge will come with muddy trails.  Im a bit worried about losing the top speed of the 50T (still a roadie at heart).  But will probably build a bridge and slap the 42T ultimate black oval on (love those ovals).

IMG_20230418_120430.jpg.bc1b248d9c258ec4660441d71aa3f614.jpg

Thanks for all the advice! Its amazing.

Edited by Maniax
spelling