Bikepacking through Lesotho

Good day

I want to know if it would be safe bikepacking through Lesotho? Want to travel from Sani Pass to Fouriesburg. Its about 380km with 9800m gained. Will do it over 3 days and sleep over in guesthouses in Lesotho.

We've ridden in Lesotho a couple of times and not had any safety issues other than cars/trucks. Great place to ride.

a big adventure race was in Lesotho last year. Included a mammoth 220km bike leg, no one had issues, it was tough. But it was spectacular. I would try avoid tar as much as possible. Also pack a tent and get off the main road for some wild camping.

There are a couple of bicycle tour operators in Lesotho.  Consider contacting them regarding safety, suggested routes etc.  I believe the people at Afriski is also helpfull.

I have read, and heard firsthand from people that hiked and camped in Lesotho about being attacked at night.

If you do plan to do the self supported camping thing, a good suggestion is to have a chat with the local village chiefs of the area where you plan to camp and to get their "blessing" to pitch your tent.

• 10 months later...

Hi Nico

Did you do the trip? What was the roads like? Any suggestions or tips?

I am looking to do a supported ride through Lesotho, leaving from Fouriesburg, first night will be at Katse Dam, and then second night passed Afriski at Oxbow. So will be 3 days of riding, approx 290kms with 8000m of climbing. 

Some thoughts and other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

give yourself plenty of time... You don't go anywhere fast in that neck of the woods, Mafika Lisiu pass on the way to Katse on your rough route is a SOB of note. Are you planning on a mtb or gravel bike?

Hi Stiggy , 

No I didn't do that trip. It should have only be me and my wife , unsupported. Got a few recommendations to rather do it in a bigger group or with someone that rides along with a bakkie. 

Sorry I can't give you more info.

Regards

As dave noted there is bicycle related assistance there; Afriski and Ramabanta Trading Post, Malealea etc come to mind, tour operators, there and in KZN (Detour?). I have only ever had good times there (all dirt bike) but there have been incidents along the KZN 'berg border. Take pepper spray, mainly for the dogs - a few people have been badly bitten and very limited number of trees to climb 😁

Take dark glasses to protect you from the starlight, 🙃, have a blast. I am silly not to have spent more time there.

Thanks for the heads up guys!

It will be on gravel bikes, as we'll be tackling gravel and roads. 

@mazambaan need to buy an enduro bike (my next n + 1), as the guys from Detour mainly do natural, offroad trails around Afriski. 

I'll keep you guys posted once completed

Edited by Stiggy

17 hours ago, Stiggy said:

Thanks for the heads up guys!

It will be on gravel bikes, as we'll be tackling gravel and roads. 

@mazambaan need to buy an enduro bike (my next n + 1), as the guys from Detour mainly do natural, offroad trails around Afriski. 

I'll keep you guys posted once completed

Do not forget emergency warm clothing, can get very chilly any month of the year.