Any Routes in Sondela Nature Reserve?

pedal menace

Hi all - will be spending a few days this weekend at Sondela Nature Reserve. Definitely keen on doing some lekka MTB rides. Checked their website and there are a few MTB trails jotted on a map - which I am sure you all agree cannot quite be followed whilst riding. I emailed Sondela asking if thee have route files (i.e. GPX files) I can download but no response yet. Has anyone done some rides at Sondela? (I assume an event route will include roads not open during a normal visit). Willing to send me some GPX files? Looking for any rides 20km+. Any feedback will be appreciated. 

Havent done anything hectic there, but my advise

* Make sure your puncture protection/repair kits are up to scratch. Lots of acasia thorns

* Just follow the roads and single tracks and enjoy the nature and animals around you. I came around a corner at speed and there were 3 giraffe standing in the middle of the single track. Came to a dead stop, waited for them to move, and when they didnt I turned around and headed in another direction

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Havent done anything hectic there, but my advise

* Make sure your puncture protection/repair kits are up to scratch. Lots of acasia thorns

* Just follow the roads and single tracks and enjoy the nature and animals around you. I came around a corner at speed and there were 3 giraffe standing in the middle of the single track. Came to a dead stop, waited for them to move, and when they didnt I turned around and headed in another direction

Thank you - purely talking from never before riding there on a weekend away, and no idea how big reserve is - I assume getting "lost" not a risk? 

3 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Thank you - purely talking from never before riding there on a weekend away, and no idea how big reserve is - I assume getting "lost" not a risk? 

I'm sure its possible. Havent been there for many years, and when I did go I dont seem to recall getting lost, but did not venture to far away from camp.

The upper part of the track has many loose sandy sections, which I did not enjoy.

The bottom part is way better, with fast flowing single track and corners. It was around 28km with 100m elevation

There are some serious thorns there. I removed around 5 which was about 2cm in length

15 minutes ago, Tothehills said:

The upper part of the track has many loose sandy sections, which I did not enjoy.

The bottom part is way better, with fast flowing single track and corners. It was around 28km with 100m elevation

There are some serious thorns there. I removed around 5 which was about 2cm in length

Sheesh - I would not trust a tyre that had 5 nail size thorns in them. This could be an expensive outing if I need to replace tyres...which it seems is a fairly good possibility. 

11 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Sheesh - I would not trust a tyre that had 5 nail size thorns in them. This could be an expensive outing if I need to replace tyres...which it seems is a fairly good possibility. 

on the other hand. I am not running tubeless on the MTB (old 26er), plus had wifes bike and other families bikes, so I bought a box of 100 patches for just in case. Did not use even 1 of them.

But the threat was there. Had some close calls with thorns going into the knob of the tire and not penatrating right through.

8 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Around here we call them Ystervark tires! They have so many snot-stokkies them, like quills from a Porcupine

Not to worry, a proper plug can last a long time. Or you can leave the thorns in and take a gamble. Hope you have tubeless tires

4 minutes ago, Tothehills said:

Around here we call them Ystervark tires! They have so many snot-stokkies them, like quills from a Porcupine

Not to worry, a proper plug can last a long time. Or you can leave the thorns in and take a gamble. Hope you have tubeless tires

Tubeless - FOR SURE! Probably need to do a slime top up prior to the weekend! 

Orange and Blue routes are mixture of roads, jeep track and single track.  They were well marked and and you shouldn't get lost.  Orange is the longer one (just over 40 km), while Blue and and White are about half of that.

Not much elevation, but loose sand may catch you out.

I had no issues with thorns.

12 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Don't get stuck in the CASTROL bush pub - you never find your way home

That pub is in Mabalingwe - the R&R's are highly recommended😁

7 minutes ago, Dogs said:

Orange and Blue routes are mixture of roads, jeep track and single track.  They were well marked and and you shouldn't get lost.  Orange is the longer one (just over 40 km), while Blue and and White are about half of that.

Not much elevation, but loose sand may catch you out.

I had no issues with thorns.

Ah cool - was hoping there would be some route markers. 

18 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Don't get stuck in the CASTROL bush pub - you never find your way home

Will definitely be part of my post ride cool down regime!