[Event] Parys Road Outride

wesdrake

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

*edited to add*  I also felt the bike marshal did not really understand that we dont have engines to pull us up the hills, we need to rely on momentum. Having us holding the breaks going downhill when there is an uphill infront of us was rather frustrating. Instead the could have slowed us on the uphill to get the group to close.

Best practice is to regroup on top of the hill, then all ride down together before repeating again.

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

we had 2 punctures in our group and the ladies were both told by others in the group to get on the support vehicle and fix the punctures whilst the rest of us carried on. A simple puncture should not disadvantage a rider like that, had we been riding for time then its would be a different story. 

If we ride to Pietermaritzburg for the Amashova, standard practice is to swap your wheel for a spare one or get in the support vehicle and fix it, allowing everyone else to ride on to save time. Problems these days is the variety of wheel types (rim/disc brakes, QR/thru-axle, 10-11-12-13 speed, etc.

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Best practice is to regroup on top of the hill, then all ride down together before repeating again.

If we ride to Pietermaritzburg for the Amashova, standard practice is to swap your wheel for a spare one or get in the support vehicle and fix it, allowing everyone else to ride on to save time. Problems these days is the variety of wheel types (rim/disc brakes, QR/thru-axle, 10-11-12-13 speed, etc.

if thats standard practice then so be it. I ride solo 99% of the times so this is new to me.

Just now, The Ouzo said:

if thats standard practice then so be it. I ride solo 99% of the times so this is new to me.

Whether standard practice of not, it should be communicated ahead of the start, or at the start. Also, an appointed group leader should be present; not sure if there was a leader or not.