Warranty Repairs on Ebikes

I have a question regarding a warranty repair on my Ebike. I dont want to mention the brand as I am in communication with them and they deserve to state their case first before I go bos.

Not to make the story 7 pages long, the summary is as follows: Bike came up with error while riding one day (error code pointed to speed sensor fault). Took bike to LBS and they tried to fix, bike ended up being sent to headoffice, headoffice sent bike back saying its fixed. I picked up bike and took me 30secs in the shop to test and see that its still faulty. Bike got sent back to headoffice, some time went by while they tried to fix it, I threw a couple toys around and they worked on it a bit harder. They came back and said bike is fixed now, no more error codes you are good to go and sent the bike back. (this all was a 3month process BTW)

Got bike back and what they did was they placed 7 spacers in between the magnet and the brake rotor to bring the magnet closer to the speed sensor. Took bike for a ride and no errors.

So here is my question: Am I wrong by saying that the "solution" they gave is not a real solution? Yes sure I am not getting the errors anymore but the problem has not been fixed. They found a workaround to the problem. What happens when I decide to change brake rotors and spacing is now slightly different? What happens when I try and sell the bike to someone else down the line, how do I explain the "fix" that he/she needs to remember about so that the bike can keep working? How hard will it be to sell the bike if I have to point that out?

I asked them these questions and waiting for their feedback on it but I wanted to check if I am being unrealistic with this.

I would not be happy if it were my bike. Why put in spacers if the actual fault is the sensor? Surely all the other “similar” ebikes must work perfectly or do they also have 7 spacers in? They need to fix the problem and not take a shortcut. Best is if they don’t fix it correctly is to name the brand so other hubbers can look out for it on their bikes

26 minutes ago, zeerpuD1 said:

I would not be happy if it were my bike. Why put in spacers if the actual fault is the sensor? Surely all the other “similar” ebikes must work perfectly or do they also have 7 spacers in? They need to fix the problem and not take a shortcut. Best is if they don’t fix it correctly is to name the brand so other hubbers can look out for it on their bikes

This. 

2021 I had that issue with Giant Durbanville and later with Dragons ....

After significant expense I had the same "knock" issue .... took a video before Giant Durbanville finally realised the issue needed the bike sent to Dragons.

They got the bike back .... I asked them to properly test it and confirm if it is really ready for collection.

Got a call to say the bike is going back to Dragons ....

A week later the issue was finally resolved.

Sadly QC at both Giant Durbanville and Dragons were seriously lacking in that excercise ....

I hope you get sorted quicker.

5 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Pitcha (Closeup of the Repair)

Seems like an acceptable repair.

Instead of 7 spacers they could have made 1 spacer and you would have been happy.

An e-bike is not cheap, I would have not expected to even be looking for a "solution" to a problem that should not exist. 

Given that the OP noted they had the bike for so long, it would appear they just kept hacking away till they found something that worked.

No I would think that the spacers they used are either mild steel or stainless steel.

If mild steel on a MTB = soon to be rusty