BB92 24mm (Press fit) advice

TheoG

8 minutes ago, droo said:

Best PF92 solution I've found so far. Install the shell once and forget about it. Change out bearings when they get rough.

Thanks @droo that's what made 100% sense to me also.  Pity I already bought the Shimano XTR BB ... 🤦‍♂️

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Not to be pedantic but each one for 9000 or 2 of them for 18000 each?

What kind of conditions were they ridden in? MTB or road?

Mostly Free state gravel roads 2 TB and many other races. Have my in the bike Since 2013 and do regular maintenance including cleaning and grease of BB.  I do not use a high pressure cleaner. I am now  using the bike in the UK.  https://www.stickboybike.com/2013/04/getting-most-out-of-your-sram-gxp.html?m=1

On 6/19/2023 at 10:07 AM, Wyatt Earp said:

GXP is very flawed in its design.

When Truvativ introduced it, the design was groundbreaking, and then Shimano responded with their Hollowtec, to this day trusted and proven.

The GXP takes all the load bearing on the non drive side, which wears that bearing prematurely quick.That and the fact that the tolerances on that bearing is not great.

The Token BB uses 24 mm ID bearings on both sides and then supply a beautifully machined adapter with very tight tolerances. The insert sits internally and spreads the load across both non and non drive side bearings more evenly.

IMG_3330.jpeg

I suddenly and unwillingly find myself in the position of needing one of these .... 🤪🙈 

Do you know where I can get one (22 to 24mm GXP adapter and other required spacers)?

Edit:  I see multiple options abroad but cant find any advertised in SA ... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

I suddenly and unwillingly find myself in the position of needing one of these .... 🤪🙈 

Do you know where I can get one (22 to 24mm GXP adapter and other required spacers)?

Edit:  I see multiple options abroad but cant find any advertised in SA ... 🤷‍♂️

The adapter comes supplied with a BB (unfortunately)

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

The local agents have stock on hand

39 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

The adapter comes supplied with a BB (unfortunately)

Thanks, I already have 2 good BBs, so dont want to buy another 🙈.

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Thanks, I already have 2 good BBs, so dont want to buy another 🙈.

If I ever get a bike in where one of those become spare, I will keep it aside.