Bike storage - Nip points

Bomberman

Hi Hubbers.

Thought I share an incident that happened to me this weekend, well more my little 4 year old.

Hopefully I can give you guys something to think about when you store your bike. 

So this weekend my little boy decided his bike needs fixing and dads tools are way cooler, so off he went looking in the garage, he likes to rummage through my tools and pretends to fix his bike. A few minutes in I hear bone chilling scream coming from the garage and my kid comes running with blood all over his hand....  and the tip of his finger hanging by the skin. 

After spending ours at the hospital and about 3 hours in surgery the doctors managed to reconstruct some of it back. Back home I asked him what happened and he said the bike hurt him, now I constantly remind him not to put his finger close to any moving parts such as the chain or gears and he told me that it wasn't the part that hurt him and he pointed to my brake rotor.... 

image.jpeg.dce75bae7813c97faad321c82abe17c2.jpeg

He somehow stuck his finger in the rotor and decided to spin the wheel, which pinched his finger between the rotor and my frame slicing his finger off. I know rotors can cause some eina cuts but I never realized how sharp those edges are. 

I then realized -  the way I park my bike was a big no no as this allows the rear wheel to spin freely, if I just moved the bike to the lower hook the rear wheel would have rested on the floor and would not be able to spin. 

I hope this brings some awareness on how we store our bikes, we need to make sure littles ones know about the potential hazards no matter how cool our bikes are to them. 

Thanks

Ouch, my tummy turned just reading that, hope the little guy is okay. Very wise warning, rotors are dangerous, as too chains and sprockets to little fingers if the rear wheel can turn.

Ah man, it really sucks to hear stories like this. But it is a great safety share.

Unfortunately a garage/workshop should be access controlled in general. He played with a bicycle which was dangerous, but it could have been pliers, shears, saws, power tools, 8lb hammer, brake cleaner, thinners, petrol, welder, cutting torch, planer and I can carry on listing dangerous stuff in a garage for weeks.

My nephew gave my sister a heart attack a few weeks back, little bugger started up the table saw, thankfully only after starting it did he realise he couldn't reach the blade. This gave them time to react and realise what he was up to while he went to fetch a box to stand on. But it could have ended so badly.

You are incredibly lucky he wants to be working on bikes and things, so the best I can say is spend as much time as you can with him in the garage, but if you or the mrs aren't around it should be a no go zone...

1 hour ago, Bomberman said:

Hi Hubbers.

Thought I share an incident that happened to me this weekend, well more my little 4 year old.

Hopefully I can give you guys something to think about when you store your bike. 

So this weekend my little boy decided his bike needs fixing and dads tools are way cooler, so off he went looking in the garage, he likes to rummage through my tools and pretends to fix his bike. A few minutes in I hear bone chilling scream coming from the garage and my kid comes running with blood all over his hand....  and the tip of his finger hanging by the skin. 

After spending ours at the hospital and about 3 hours in surgery the doctors managed to reconstruct some of it back. Back home I asked him what happened and he said the bike hurt him, now I constantly remind him not to put his finger close to any moving parts such as the chain or gears and he told me that it wasn't the part that hurt him and he pointed to my brake rotor.... 

image.jpeg.dce75bae7813c97faad321c82abe17c2.jpeg

He somehow stuck his finger in the rotor and decided to spin the wheel, which pinched his finger between the rotor and my frame slicing his finger off. I know rotors can cause some eina cuts but I never realized how sharp those edges are. 

I then realized -  the way I park my bike was a big no no as this allows the rear wheel to spin freely, if I just moved the bike to the lower hook the rear wheel would have rested on the floor and would not be able to spin. 

I hope this brings some awareness on how we store our bikes, we need to make sure littles ones know about the potential hazards no matter how cool our bikes are to them. 

Thanks

thanks for sharing. Sounds more like a freak accident than a warning to lock your bike out of reach to me. He could have learnt this lesson on a lot of things, and you can't prevent everything without putting him in a bubble.