Advise needed, vertical shock vs horizontal shock

Strong Climber

Obvious question, is the sag set correctly on the Spark as it is now? If it isn't that may explain the soggy feeling. 25% sag rear, 15% front and traction mode would be fastAF. Also, when last was the suspension given a proper service? I had that same vintage of Spark and the last thing I'd say about it was that it was inefficient

Edited by thebob

Coming from someone that works on suspension there is no big difference. bike brands put years and i mean at least 3/4 to 5+ years into bike design. Suspension kinematics is highly focused on a dual suspension, moving just one pivot point 1mm in any direction will completely change how the suspension will feel and how the bike will behave.

Horizontal vs vertical is almost irrelevant. the only plus of a horizontal shocks on most modern bikes is that you should get an extra mounting point for a second bottle cage inside the frame, There are some brands that have made a plan around this with vertical shocks like Pyga and the new scott spark. Also there are accessories to help you fit an extra bottle cage like the Lyne Components holy rail system.

What is important is having your suspension correctly setup for the rider, riding style and the terrain he'll be riding! This will make your bike feel more consistent, predictable handling, pedal efficient and comfortable. A R200 000 bike with a very poorly setup suspension with ride like a donkey and a R20 000 bike with a decent suspension setup will feel better. Read the manufacturers recommended suspension settings for your weight. it will give you a good starting point on your settings.

If you're looking at getting a bike try before you buy. See what you need to get out of the bike and be honest with yourself on what your going to do riding wise.

Edited by Jimmy 2.0