Shimano 12 speed chains Vs Sram

justinlo

All this talk had got me worried 

Checked the chain last night , 0.5 still doesn't drop in phewww

Got a New GX chain waiting but very much thinking of XO for the 3rd one 

Been exceptionally impressed with the GX lunar my bike came with 

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

I’ll agree that 12spd hyperglide + SLX on my hardtail makes the full Gx axs with xx1 chain on my enduro bike feel like cheap chinese groupset lol.
BUT, I also broke that slx chain at the skills park with less than 500km on it which was mildly annoying🤷🏻‍♂️

Yip the SLX chains are tihs I'm hoping the XT is better 🤞🏻

25 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Yip the SLX chains are tihs I'm hoping the XT is better 🤞🏻

XT and XTR are quite a bit better than the SLX ones. 

Have yet to snap a XT/XTR one. 

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Same here, this thread had me checking my deore chain and it needs swapping out. Picked up an x01 this morning. Hoping I’m not going to miss the hyperglide smoothness. Let’s see

Slight delrailment…

What prep do you guys do when popping on a new chain? With Shimano I’d wipe off the shipping grease. I used to fully degrease but I read that it’s better to keep the original lube in the rollers. Any different prep from Shimano and sram?

15 minutes ago, Jono said:

Slight delrailment…

What prep do you guys do when popping on a new chain? With Shimano I’d wipe off the shipping grease. I used to fully degrease but I read that it’s better to keep the original lube in the rollers. Any different prep from Shimano and sram?

Chain is a Chain Man Probably Made in the Same Factory.

10 hours ago, BaGearA said:

The XO1 are expensive but will give you good Km’s. The x 2 I have used have both given me between 9000 and 10000 km. 

I changed them when the 0.5 check could be pushed through not merely drop in. 
I recycle them to my Single speed till 0.75 limit. 

19 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I'm running just the reverse of what you are Shimano cassette and chain with sram derailleur and shifter. 

Yes the Shimano cassette and chain don't last as long as sram but it also costs considerably less, the ratio's are so much better and the shifting is just next level. 

PS : have just bought a hyperglide + Ebike rated chain so let's see if it lasts longer 🤞🏻 it was still inexpensive compared to sram. 

Part of my current dilemma is I am going to upgrade the entire rear wheel, and am split between going Micro Spline or Xd drive. 

7 hours ago, Jono said:

Slight delrailment…

I personally just use some Hot water with a little bit of sunlight soap and wipe off most of the sticky film off, and ride for a few times, then apply the wax lube. Then every 2nd week I , merely take a clean rag and grab the chain and run the crank in reverse and spin till all the old wax lube has been removed and then re-apply new lube, a drop per roller.  

Works for me. 

19 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I'm running just the reverse of what you are Shimano cassette and chain with sram derailleur and shifter. 

Yes the Shimano cassette and chain don't last as long as sram but it also costs considerably less, the ratio's are so much better and the shifting is just next level. 

PS : have just bought a hyperglide + Ebike rated chain so let's see if it lasts longer 🤞🏻 it was still inexpensive compared to sram. 

Ah - the decisions we have to make. 😂😂 sometimes. What to do !! 

Seeing we talking chain wear, anyone running a Gabaruk cassette? if so what's the experience. 

I run XT with KMC, very good and has lasted through mud and dust....just rock solid and X01 cassette with XX1 chain which has lasted a long time but i think the XT might shift better and the cost to replace the XX1 is just crazy......XTR might be on the horizon with a Gabaruk cassette.