Whats it worth - 2015 Giant Reign

Brawler

Hi all.

Today is a sad day. Looking to sell my Reign that I have had since new (2015). I replaced it in February and it has been ridden once since then so figure there is no point keeping it unless its not worth selling and keeping for mates. I'm hoping it is though as its relatively well spec'd and still modern geo.

Components:

• Frame: Alu
  • Fork: RS Pike RC 160
  • Shock: RS Monarch RT
  • Drivetrain - Full XT 1x11
  • Brakes - XT with the big Shimano Ice Tech rotors
  • Wheels - Stans Flow EX on Hope Pro 4 
  • Tires - Maxxis DHR2 (R) and Assegain (F)
  • Seatpost - Lynne 150mm internal
  • Bars - Stock 780mm
  • Truvativ Holzfeller

Condition is good. It has a few minor scratches from use but nothing deep and no dings. Stanchions are perfect. 

The bike is ready to ride. New grips. The fork and shock was serviced in mid-2022 with very little miles before the new bike arrived. The dropper post and tyres were replaced at the same time so those are in great condition.

The only known issue is the rear derailleur clutch. It does work but the switch likes to turn itself off but I have found a way to keep it on and now it does work fine. Only mentioning it as its the only thing not perfect. 

Help with pricing please. I know the market is in a bit of a weird spot right now. Prices were super high and now on the low side. Still, to get a new bike with this sort of spec is now mega bucks. I've seen a few (but worse for wear and spec) for between 16-20k.

Any help appreciated.

It's a bit of an odd timepiece wise for sure. Depends how desperate you are to sell, how quick you want it gone and if you need the cash. I saw a 2016 Banshee Spitfire for sale recently for R25K and thought that would sell pretty quick at that price but it's still there 'non negotiable' a good 8 weeks later. 

It's a nice bike and a decent build for sure. 65 degree head / 73 degree seat still looks pretty good 8 years later but it's alu, I'm guessing non boost and narrower 27.5. 

R16K - 18K would be a bargain to someone, R19K - R22K I would think is fair to both sides, maybe worth more than that but with the market being what it's like then you might have to hold out for the right person to come along.

Couple of recent sales (with various specs) on le hub as a guide: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/662843/giant-reign

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/608708/2015-giant-reign-275-2

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/634217/giant-reign-advanced-2015

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/104124/2015-giant-reign-2-small

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/112539/2015-giant-reign-for-sale-price-drop

Having seen some of the prices of these I might start looking about! 😆

4 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Yea I sold mine a while back for just over 20k - the carbon framed version

Wow, I would have jumped on that for sure! It makes no sense at the moment. I've been looking for a decent 2nd hand fork, wheels and dropper and the prices are still up there. Might be better to buy a whole bike and strip it down for the components and sell on the frame as it would work out way cheaper.

On 8/22/2023 at 10:01 AM, Brawler said:

Hi all.

Today is a sad day. Looking to sell my Reign that I have had since new (2015). I replaced it in February and it has been ridden once since then so figure there is no point keeping it unless its not worth selling and keeping for mates. I'm hoping it is though as its relatively well spec'd and still modern geo.

Components:

• Frame: Alu
  • Fork: RS Pike RC 160
  • Shock: RS Monarch RT
  • Drivetrain - Full XT 1x11
  • Brakes - XT with the big Shimano Ice Tech rotors
  • Wheels - Stans Flow EX on Hope Pro 4 
  • Tires - Maxxis DHR2 (R) and Assegain (F)
  • Seatpost - Lynne 150mm internal
  • Bars - Stock 780mm
  • Truvativ Holzfeller

Condition is good. It has a few minor scratches from use but nothing deep and no dings. Stanchions are perfect. 

The bike is ready to ride. New grips. The fork and shock was serviced in mid-2022 with very little miles before the new bike arrived. The dropper post and tyres were replaced at the same time so those are in great condition.

The only known issue is the rear derailleur clutch. It does work but the switch likes to turn itself off but I have found a way to keep it on and now it does work fine. Only mentioning it as its the only thing not perfect. 

Help with pricing please. I know the market is in a bit of a weird spot right now. Prices were super high and now on the low side. Still, to get a new bike with this sort of spec is now mega bucks. I've seen a few (but worse for wear and spec) for between 16-20k.

Any help appreciated.

Size?

20 hours ago, droo said:

Unfortunate, know of someone looking for a medium.

Ah pity. Thanks anyway!