Bikepacking the Cross Cape Town

Bearens

6 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

I wouldn't worry too much about safety in the rural areas of the WC - your biggest danger zones are in and just outside of major cities. 

For bike transport, if you want to take a bus, speak to Shaun - Shaun Smeda - shaun@intercape.co.za / 072 190 0345

Thanks great!! Thank you I’ll mail Shaun! 

Hi Bearens! As you will be arriving with your bikes you will already have them packed in boxes or specific bike bags. I recommend you look at the option of sending your packaged bikes and kit via a courier to Plett. You can then fly/hire a car/bus from CT to Plett and set up your bikes there.

The empty bike boxes/bags can then be couriered back to CT to be used on your return home. You can get online quotes from couriers such as The Courier Guy, BigFoot, etc.

Reach out to HeyYou here on the hub. He lives in Plett and may be able to assist you by receiving your bikes, help set up, etc.  BuffsVintageBike and Co may be willing to help in CT/Stellenbosch?

53 minutes ago, Bearens said:

Hello Lynksey!! Thank you for the reassuring words! And I signed in for the FB group, was looking for something similar but couldn’t find any group so very great full! We are still figuring out to start in Stellenbosch or Plattenbergh but thanks a lot! 🍀

HI there I route in April last year from Plet to Stellenbosch. All good advice on here. Route is safe and places to take caution is around any townships (specifically Stellenbosch and also Knysna) Avoid at all cost. Easy enough though. The route is amazing. Between towns are typically very safe as there are not many people around. Spot is a good idea can also get one from Scuttle website they rent them out per day. Spot Also good since some areas you may find there is no phone reception on the route. 

1 hour ago, Bearens said:

Hello Lynksey!! Thank you for the reassuring words! And I signed in for the FB group, was looking for something similar but couldn’t find any group so very great full! We are still figuring out to start in Stellenbosch or Plattenbergh but thanks a lot! 🍀

Start in Stellies. Much much easier to go from a big town to the smaller towns you will be passing. Less anxiety and stress. You will learn more and find it much easier. Talk to the locals for info. At least 60% of my information comes from locals. I mean rhe people in the town you are in. I have friends in Knysna who may be able to warm showers you for a night. Check my Instagram it'sgregs_adventures plenty pictures there. It is super chilled here mate. You will have a really good time.

18 hours ago, Dappere said:

Many of the roads you'll ride are on private farmland - likely safer than public roads. This is part of the Cape Cycle Route Initiative set up by the Western Cape Government and Wesgro to promote cycling tourism in the region.

All the roads are public roads, not private farmland. Except for the short sections on the N2 national road, they are very quiet roads with minimal car traffic. 

4 hours ago, roodie said:

Route is safe and places to take caution is around any townships (specifically Stellenbosch and also Knysna) Avoid at all cost. 

To clarify, "townships" in SA mean informal settlements. Use common sense and avoid them. 

4 hours ago, Lynskey said:

Start in Stellies. 

I agree. Much less hassle. Fly to Cape Town and get an UberXL or scheduled transfer from the airport to Stellenbosch, stay at an Airbnb or guesthouse for a few days then start your trip. Ride to Knysna and fly back to Cape Town from Plett or George Airports. Another option is to rent a car and drive back to Cape Town along the Garden Route. You will not be sorry. It is an amazing drive! 

Bus options: greyhound.co.za/ and intercape.co.za

Cape Town to/from George/Plett flights:  https://www.flyairlink.com or https://www.flycemair.co.za/ or https://www.flysafair.co.za/

Car rental: www.airports.co.za/airports/cape-town-international-airport/transport/car-rental

Back to the original question about safety, when I did the CC on my own a few years ago I attached a self-defense pepper spray can to my top tube, to use in case I had to defend myself against someone or something (stray dogs/snakes/animals/baboons). I fitted it using industrial Velcro which you can buy at most hardware shops.

I also had a Coghlan's Air Horn taped to the handlebar so that I could press the button which would then make a very loud sound to scare off something or someone (www.driftersshop.co.za/products/coghlans-air-horn).

Some more tips in my post-ride report here: 

• 2 months later...

Im a South African, Living in Cape Town. Im planning on doing this Route Solo in Early December so maybe i will see you out there!
Ive never done it before. But i know people who have and they had the best time. Most of the crime happens around major cities, you should be just fine outside in the Rural areas. Just keeps your wits about you and make sure your bikes are not unattended

Edited by antjamesbird