What should I look out for when buying a secondhand ebike?

Razor1972

Hello fellow bikers.

I am looking to buy a secondhand ebike. What are some red flags I should be looking out for? I see some ebikes for sale have close to 10 000km on the clock. What would you consider high mileage? How long do these motors last? I've also seen ads saying things like, drive train replaced or motor recently replaced, which makes me wonder how or when do these things need replacing. Have you had problems with your ebike you'd like to share? When test riding an ebike, what sounds should i listen for?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

For the most part it is just a normal bike.  Check the frame, rims, brakes, drive train, etc, like you would for a normal 2nd hand purchase.

The e-bike part has basically three components:

1. Battery

2. Controller

3. Motor

Most ebikes now have some sort of an app that links the bike to your cell phone.  On this app you can see the full history of the bike.  From the total distance covered, to the number of charge cycles the battery had, even the condition of the battery.  On the Giant ebike app I can even see error codes for the bike.

The three things you cant see:

- Issues with the controller.  These things dont take kindly to pressure washers .... This is always going to be an unknown .... maybe check what a replacement controller would cost, and availability ... or should we rather check for compatability of new controllers to older motors ....

- Motor bearings and/or internal drive systems.  Specialized have replaced motors due to internal drive issues.  My own Giant had a bearing issue after 1 000km ... a tick-tick sound from the BB area ...  now on 6 000 km and no further issues.  More and more shops like Knipe_Racing service a wide range of these motors .... easy to check what a major repair might cost.

- Chipping .... I would stay way clear of a motor that was chipped .... many of these are quick plug and play devices, so difficult to know .....  (now if you could see they sellers Strava ... long high speeds on flats will tell all...)

43 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

For the most part it is just a normal bike.  Check the frame, rims, brakes, drive train, etc, like you would for a normal 2nd hand purchase.

The e-bike part has basically three components:

1. Battery

2. Controller

3. Motor

Most ebikes now have some sort of an app that links the bike to your cell phone.  On this app you can see the full history of the bike.  From the total distance covered, to the number of charge cycles the battery had, even the condition of the battery.  On the Giant ebike app I can even see error codes for the bike.

The three things you cant see:

- Issues with the controller.  These things dont take kindly to pressure washers .... This is always going to be an unknown .... maybe check what a replacement controller would cost, and availability ... or should we rather check for compatability of new controllers to older motors ....

- Motor bearings and/or internal drive systems.  Specialized have replaced motors due to internal drive issues.  My own Giant had a bearing issue after 1 000km ... a tick-tick sound from the BB area ...  now on 6 000 km and no further issues.  More and more shops like Knipe_Racing service a wide range of these motors .... easy to check what a major repair might cost.

- Chipping .... I would stay way clear of a motor that was chipped .... many of these are quick plug and play devices, so difficult to know .....  (now if you could see they sellers Strava ... long high speeds on flats will tell all...)

Thanks Chris. This is exactly the kind of advice I need :). I'm looking for an ebike a second bike to ride, when I'm not really feeling up to the climbs. For some reason there's all of a sudden many secondhand ebikes for sale and makes me wonder whats going on 😄

19 minutes ago, Razor1972 said:

For some reason there's all of a sudden many secondhand ebikes for sale and makes me wonder whats going on 😄

No science behind this but the second hand market lags the new market. With the boom of ebikes only happening fairly recently (relative to other bike types), the second hand market was pretty sparse as bikes were still new purchases and not yet being sold. Now there are many more bikes at varying ages, so the second market starts getting 'stocked'. Might explain some of the increase.

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

No science behind this but the second hand market lags the new market. With the boom of ebikes only happening fairly recently (relative to other bike types), the second hand market was pretty sparse as bikes were still new purchases and not yet being sold. Now there are many more bikes at varying ages, so the second market starts getting 'stocked'. Might explain some of the increase.

That makes sense. Thanks

Maybe search the specials on new ebikes.

Couple of bike shops offering big discounts on 2022 models ... yes, couple of brand new 2022 models up for grabs.

A new, 2022 model, hardtail can be bought for 2019 prices.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiH-4mQh5aBAxX9BKIDHZq6AfAYABAMGgJsZQ&ase=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxuCnBhDLARIsAB-cq1r3vstpcMzi2yuCxSWxUkgyitXpeZYtejHWkcuY1zIxBfxxLDeIOswaAiGFEALw_wcB&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESauD2TgaA_nDSD7BLT7Xcdeo1pTlv-wG0lRIcuNw4qt6liPrbQiLwZqauiD4x65PIlLXT2IXb-n6wK7vBEPZu27Ihd_HQ2TyZots_eT3bFFkemkhxe3DbKU4unXxlrXIJbx95ps-MPrCy6nM&sig=AOD64_0FXZeiNZUP7i6WdISjB70U8lMgHg&ctype=5&q=&nis=4&ved=2ahUKEwismoCQh5aBAxXBiv0HHXt3B7kQwg8oAHoECAUQFA&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiH-4mQh5aBAxX9BKIDHZq6AfAYABAJGgJsZQ&ase=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxuCnBhDLARIsAB-cq1rOnx2zSzykBVEMyWUpFpIoJngala7-HP3xeI-BHtF8OnD7Na7dnQsaAqGwEALw_wcB&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESauD2TgaA_nDSD7BLT7Xcdeo1pTlv-wG0lRIcuNw4qt6liPrbQiLwZqauiD4x65PIlLXT2IXb-n6wK7vBEPZu27Ihd_HQ2TyZots_eT3bFFkemkhxe3DbKU4unXxlrXIJbx95ps-MPrCy6nM&sig=AOD64_3hPIISa_8BON7OOKYyPKOOYVOsJA&ctype=5&q=&nis=4&ved=2ahUKEwismoCQh5aBAxXBiv0HHXt3B7kQwg8oAHoECAUQHA&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiH-4mQh5aBAxX9BKIDHZq6AfAYABAZGgJsZQ&ase=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxuCnBhDLARIsAB-cq1o4RWBm7pdjlAYXNLr4rYtpPUeZNaXg-Gm0yfQ4u2NnNZM5h5J9byUaAuuHEALw_wcB&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESauD2TgaA_nDSD7BLT7Xcdeo1pTlv-wG0lRIcuNw4qt6liPrbQiLwZqauiD4x65PIlLXT2IXb-n6wK7vBEPZu27Ihd_HQ2TyZots_eT3bFFkemkhxe3DbKU4unXxlrXIJbx95ps-MPrCy6nM&sig=AOD64_2jq2A39gG6A-1n3dLjWwDTv1pkQw&ctype=5&q=&nis=4&ved=2ahUKEwismoCQh5aBAxXBiv0HHXt3B7kQwg8oAHoECAUQNA&adurl=

Second hand prices needs to be very low to make the deal worth it ...

Buyers market at the moment.

Edited by ChrisF

39 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Maybe search the specials on new ebikes.

Couple of bike shops offering big discounts on 2022 models ... yes, couple of brand new 2022 models up for grabs.

A new, 2022 model, hardtail can be bought for 2019 prices.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiH-4mQh5aBAxX9BKIDHZq6AfAYABAMGgJsZQ&ase=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxuCnBhDLARIsAB-cq1r3vstpcMzi2yuCxSWxUkgyitXpeZYtejHWkcuY1zIxBfxxLDeIOswaAiGFEALw_wcB&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESauD2TgaA_nDSD7BLT7Xcdeo1pTlv-wG0lRIcuNw4qt6liPrbQiLwZqauiD4x65PIlLXT2IXb-n6wK7vBEPZu27Ihd_HQ2TyZots_eT3bFFkemkhxe3DbKU4unXxlrXIJbx95ps-MPrCy6nM&sig=AOD64_0FXZeiNZUP7i6WdISjB70U8lMgHg&ctype=5&q=&nis=4&ved=2ahUKEwismoCQh5aBAxXBiv0HHXt3B7kQwg8oAHoECAUQFA&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiH-4mQh5aBAxX9BKIDHZq6AfAYABAJGgJsZQ&ase=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxuCnBhDLARIsAB-cq1rOnx2zSzykBVEMyWUpFpIoJngala7-HP3xeI-BHtF8OnD7Na7dnQsaAqGwEALw_wcB&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESauD2TgaA_nDSD7BLT7Xcdeo1pTlv-wG0lRIcuNw4qt6liPrbQiLwZqauiD4x65PIlLXT2IXb-n6wK7vBEPZu27Ihd_HQ2TyZots_eT3bFFkemkhxe3DbKU4unXxlrXIJbx95ps-MPrCy6nM&sig=AOD64_3hPIISa_8BON7OOKYyPKOOYVOsJA&ctype=5&q=&nis=4&ved=2ahUKEwismoCQh5aBAxXBiv0HHXt3B7kQwg8oAHoECAUQHA&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiH-4mQh5aBAxX9BKIDHZq6AfAYABAZGgJsZQ&ase=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxuCnBhDLARIsAB-cq1o4RWBm7pdjlAYXNLr4rYtpPUeZNaXg-Gm0yfQ4u2NnNZM5h5J9byUaAuuHEALw_wcB&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESauD2TgaA_nDSD7BLT7Xcdeo1pTlv-wG0lRIcuNw4qt6liPrbQiLwZqauiD4x65PIlLXT2IXb-n6wK7vBEPZu27Ihd_HQ2TyZots_eT3bFFkemkhxe3DbKU4unXxlrXIJbx95ps-MPrCy6nM&sig=AOD64_2jq2A39gG6A-1n3dLjWwDTv1pkQw&ctype=5&q=&nis=4&ved=2ahUKEwismoCQh5aBAxXBiv0HHXt3B7kQwg8oAHoECAUQNA&adurl=

Second hand prices needs to be very low to make the deal worth it ...

Buyers market at the moment.

Thanks for those links. Pity I’m looking for a dual suspension. I’ll definitely keep a look out from something new as well now

@NickJust a suggestion. What about adding a required field for mileage when posting an ad in the e-bike section and then filtering by it as well? Maybe even on the normal MTB section?

7 minutes ago, Jono said:

If you insured an ebike under all risk and the motor or electronics developed issues, would this be covered?

No, that is "wear and tear".

Only theft or accident damage is covered, on my policy at Santam.

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

No, that is "wear and tear".

Only theft or accident damage is covered, on my policy at Santam.

Ah ok, makes sense.