Buying a bike from Cape Town

Cycling 4020

Hi everyone, hope everyone is well. I saw an ad, but unfortunately the seller is in Cape Town and my location is Gauteng Pretoria. What would suggest to secure myself from scammers and people who false advertise ( Doesn't point out scuff or chip makrs.) Should I make a deposit and courier the bike to Gauteng or buy the bike and hope for the best? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Cycling 4020 said:

Hi everyone, hope everyone is well. I saw an ad, but unfortunately the seller is in Cape Town and my location is Gauteng Pretoria. What would suggest to secure myself from scammers and people who false advertise ( Doesn't point out scuff or chip makrs.) Should I make a deposit and courier the bike to Gauteng or buy the bike and hope for the best? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bike hub  pay is the best option in my view. 

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Is the ad on the hub or somewhere else? Don't you know folks in CT you'll be able to check it out for you 

I will check in a bit.

8 hours ago, Sadiq Mohamed said:

What bike is it if I may ask?

I don’t mind going to have a look for you if it’s not too far from where I’m at. 

but bikehub pay all the way. 

Screenshot_20230916_054308_Chrome.jpg

8 hours ago, Sadiq Mohamed said:

What bike is it if I may ask?

I don’t mind going to have a look for you if it’s not too far from where I’m at. 

but bikehub pay all the way. 

It's being sold by Coimbra Cycling House.

25 minutes ago, Cycling 4020 said:

It's being sold by Coimbra Cycling House.

Coimbra is an established cycle store.

They are however in George, +- 4hrs from Cape Town.

27 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Coimbra is an established cycle store.

They are however in George, +- 4hrs from Cape Town.

Oh okay sorry, not really familiar with places in the cape😅

Here's my take on this bike, it is merely facts, nothing to do with the seller or their credibility:

1) I agree that the bike is specced well but, R59k for a 2018 model even though it's the feared big "S" IMO is a bit much. The fact that the ad has more than 1600 views means this bike has been listed multiple times and that I am not the only one who thinks it's somewhat pricey. To place this into perspective: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/12762/cannondale-scalpel - this ad has been listed since pre-covid

2) The crank arm looks like it was chewed by a rabid dog. 

3) "Well maintained" is an opinion not fact. Give me information about the history of the drive train, fork and shock intervals. Those items are very expensive to service and replace. 

4) I do not see good close up photos which makes me question the statement mentioned in point 3.

If it was me and I planned to fork out that amount of cash I would get on a plane to George and view the item for myself. O, ya and I've taken the liberty of adding the link to the ad to run the views higher :oops:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/626308/specialized-epic-s-works

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Additional information

5 hours ago, Cycling 4020 said:

Oh okay sorry, not really familiar with places in the cape😅

Hiehie ....

You remind me of (us) Capies talking of Potch (and similar) as "Joburg" .... dit IS mos annerkant die berg ....