Jacques|DurbieDash

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Big thumbs DOWN for Finish Time 👎

Anything specific as to the issue with results or just their services in general?

I was battling the G group riders and chip did not record at the end. What a great result for my first ever race. :-(. Gps time added lost a bit off time as i did not stop watch right at the end would have been nice to see winner per batch as well.

7 hours ago, Mtree said:

Anything specific as to the issue with results or just their services in general?

My last two posts, from which you copied, pretty much captures my thoughts on Finish Time and their plastic board.

Lots of people are having issues with this mounting system.

Clearly there are issues relating to the system, as many were not recorded at the start, and even worse, many were not recorded at the end.

Questions remain about the absurdly high number of DQ's  .... THIS  is not how you grow attendance at these events !!!

We can only hope Cape Town Cycle Trust takes note and addresses this with Finish Time ... BEFORE we get to CTCT.

If had to guess, the DQs are probably related to confusion in the start chute. I started in F (first race in years, so no relevant seeding), and it was impossible to know when the F batch was actually supposed to start. Seemed like people were just sort of guessing. I personally just followed the masses. If there was any instruction over megaphone, I certainly could not hear it. Also, the actual batch starting areas on the sports field were completely disregarded and unused. Poor event coordination in my opinion.

That said, I really enjoyed the race.

30 minutes ago, Rock Guy said:

If had to guess, the DQs are probably related to confusion in the start chute. I started in F (first race in years, so no relevant seeding), and it was impossible to know when the F batch was actually supposed to start. Seemed like people were just sort of guessing. I personally just followed the masses. If there was any instruction over megaphone, I certainly could not hear it. Also, the actual batch starting areas on the sports field were completely disregarded and unused. Poor event coordination in my opinion.

I had the same problem last year, only luck that I started in the correct batch. 

42 minutes ago, Rock Guy said:

Did not even know there were batch starting shutes on the sports fields .... 🙈

Got to the school gates, to see other riders asking at the gate where we were supposed to be ... we were directed directly to the start line ...

It was an absolute free for all with the whole alphabet in a bunch ....

I pushed through until I saw a couple of B group riders.

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

My last two posts, from which you copied, pretty much captures my thoughts on Finish Time and their plastic board.

Clearly there are issues relating to the system, as many were not recorded at the start, and even worse, many were not recorded at the end.

Questions remain about the absurdly high number of DQ's  .... THIS  is not how you grow attendance at these events !!!

We can only hope Cape Town Cycle Trust takes note and addresses this with Finish Time ... BEFORE we get to CTCT.

I very much doubt the DQs had something to do with people starting in wrong batches or doing something wrong on the route.

Don't know if it has something to do with the timing system, one can only speculate, but if it does this does not augur well for the CTCT where you will have mass bunch starts. The technology seems to work well enough for runners and mtb'ing, does it work for bunches of cyclists crossing the racing line at speed? Only time will tell (as I am not aware of any specific testing)

21 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I very much doubt the DQs had something to do with people starting in wrong batches or doing something wrong on the route.

Don't know if it has something to do with the timing system, one can only speculate, but if it does this does not augur well for the CTCT where you will have mass bunch starts. The technology seems to work well enough for runners and mtb'ing, does it work for bunches of cyclists crossing the racing line at speed? Only time will tell (as I am not aware of any specific testing)

According to the gent from Finish Time that was at CWC on Thursday - this was their first "road bike event with the temporary chips".

Certainly does not instil confidence in their ability to host a mass event.

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

DQ, Starting in wrong group, that's why it's seeded. 

17 minutes ago, Cafe Racer said:

Unfortunately quite common for people to start in wrong groups, I have never seen it strictly enforced to the extent that people are disqualified. If people were disqualified yesterday because of that its a first.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

The tech worked well at SA Road champs in February this year as well, same temporary numbers etc... 

No issues with people being missed during checkpoints, start and finish, then again that was a different timing company... 

24 minutes ago, Cafe Racer said:

Looking at men, one age group -

First DQ did start 1 group earlier ...

The next DQ started 1 group early ...

Next DQ started one batch early ....

The next age group -

First DQ started 2 groups early ...

2nd DQ also started 2 groups early ...

3rd DQ started 1 group early

Certainly a clear pattern.

Shear number of men that got their starting groups wrong 😬

To totally confuse the matter .... 🤪

Only three ladies were DQ'ed..... all three started one group early

Can only smile that the ladies managed to start in their groups while so many men slipped in 1 or 2 groups early .... 🙈🙊🙉

As my own start time is NOT shown on their system .... why am I not disqualified ?  Couple of others also do not have a start time ....

17 men got disqualified, all started early.  Most started 1 group early, a few started 2 groups early ....

Age vs number DQ'ed:

U15 . 0

U17 . 1

U19 . 2

U23 . 0

24 to 29 . 1

30 to 34 . 1

35 to 39 . 2

40 to 44 . 1

45 to 49 . 0

50 to 54 . 4

55 to 59 . 3

60 to 64 . 0

65 to 69 . 1

70 to 75 . 1

75+ . 0

Duidelik n groepie daar in die middel wat haastig is ... 😋

cant fault them for applying the rules 👍

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, Cafe Racer said:

Yip they warned us, unfortunately loads of people ignored it. 

Wow - I stand corrected. Racetec never disqualified people  who started in earlier batches, Finishtime certainly don't take nonsense...

I was a marshall at the start (apologies for the chaos, I also was surprised that there were no officials with megaphones taking charge)

Noticed a father sneaking his son into an earlier starting group moments before the start (I happen to know his name but did not have time to react) - I now see in the results he has his result but his son got disqualified.

I guess we can say that is the one improvement of Finishtime over Racetec 👍