Swellendam area roads knowledge required

Prince Albert Cycles

Arno if you want a nice detour ...

From Heidelberg you can follow the gravel road which goes over the mountain, and joins with Route 62 near Ronies S Shop.

13 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

From Heidelberg you can follow the gravel road which goes over the mountain, and joins with Route 62 near Ronies S Shop.

I think Arno knows more detours than most, but are you referring to Gysmanshoek pass?

49 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I think Arno knows more detours than most, but are you referring to Gysmanshoek pass?

Thank you, that is the one.   Been more than 10 years since we last rode this route.

Back then the section between the pass and the communial gravel road from Heidelberg passed over farms.  Had to open and close a few gates along the route.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Got my route fixed done George to Hermanus a few times . But always went South of the N2 between Swellendam and Riviersonderend want to go North of the N2 in March . Will look at the route Guidedog posted . Perhaps a bit long for some members of the group I am going take .

58 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Got my route fixed done George to Hermanus a few times . But always went South of the N2 between Swellendam and Riviersonderend want to go North of the N2 in March . Will look at the route Guidedog posted . Perhaps a bit long for some members of the group I am going take .

Personally I prefer the roads north of the N2 in that area (but still south of the mountains). Less wind, roads generally in a better condition and better scenery. Downside is some nasty rolling hills, especially if bikes are heavy with baggage

7 hours ago, guidodg said:

there is a beautiful gravel route from Swellendam to Riviersonderend

https://www.strava.com/activities/7511108841

Thanks for this. Very nice looking route. How ridable is the gravel between Riviersonderend and Swellendam? 

I stay in Greyton for half the week and wasn't aware there was a way to make this route work.

Just don't go via Krige road, its closed. 

11 minutes ago, Joshrides said:

Thanks for this. Very nice looking route. How ridable is the gravel between Riviersonderend and Swellendam? 

We cycled from Swellendam to Riviersonderend in Feb. We stayed above the N2 except for the last few k's. The gravel was fine and did not present any issues. There are a few low bridges on that route that might have taking a beating in the recent storm. My Strava file will not be of much help, we got lost at one stage, doubled back, eventualy caught a lift with our support driver to another section of the route.

You can download the file for this route from the Cross Cape website https://capecycleroutes.co.za/route/cross-cape-route , had we followed the route instructions we would have stayed on route.