Garmin Varia Light: Auto Mode: Intermittent Operation

MudLark

Hi guys,

I having a bit of a problem with my Garmin headlight. It is a Varia UT800 mated with an Edge 1030. The headlight is a new replacement for an identical unit. This new unit however throws up an issue that I cannot find an answer for on searching this forum or the web. When it is set to 'auto mode' using the Edge interface, the headlight switches on and off intermittently – I mean while the bike is moving. And I am not referring to the flash mode. The headlight will switch off and then a few seconds later will switch back on. Then 30 seconds later (if that long) it will repeat. This issue never arose with the previous UT800 that I had. I have no idea what the devil is going on or how to solve it. If anyone has come across this issue before or any thread on it, I would be grateful for any pointers.

Cheers,

ML

@MudLark As a first pass I would check if there is a firmware update available. 

Don't have the 1030, but on the 830 switching off the Auto Beam adjustment resolved the issue. 

You could also reach out to the guys at Navworld. They managed to assist me with past Garmin issues I had. 

Thank you. Yes, it only happens in auto beam adjustment - which I happen to use by preference and have for many years. 🙂

Okay, firmware up to date. Checking the Garmin fora, it seems to be a 'product feature'. Maybe I'll return it under warranty.