Road Tyres

HellsBells

Hi

What tyres are you guys running on your road bikes? I live in PE and I am having such an issue with flats. Our roads are strewn with bits of glass and other debris. Any suggestions on a bullet proof tyre?

Pirelli Cinturato Velo

The most bullet proof tyre I've ever used, even more so than Gatorskins.

Currently on my 3rd set, got 10 000km off the last set.

I run them tubeless, but they can be run with tubes too.

This website should help you figure out relatively objectively what the best option should be:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews?orderby=pr

That list is sorted by puncture protection score. Seems to point to this one: https://mellowvelo.co.za/products/pirelli-cinturato-velo-tlr-700-x-26c-1 but the conti options also work well (just hate the grip of the gatorskin).

I would also seriously consider tubeless (there is a good thread on here somewhere) - once I got my GP5000's sorted (TL and S-TR mix due to reasons) my punctures went right down. There is a bit of admin as you need to regularly top up sealant (I find every two months seems to work) but that also gets easy with practice. Also, one person's opinion means almost nothing, which I why the website above is a good guide.

EDIT: OK, maybe @The Ouzo's opinion means more than nothing becuase he beat the website to the same answer :)

Edited by dexterdent

Just now, The Ouzo said:

Pirelli Cinturato Velo

The most bullet proof tyre I've ever used, even more so than Gatorskins.

Currently on my 3rd set, got 10 000km off the last set.

I run them tubeless, but they can be run with tubes too.

I have not had any punctures since fitting my Gatorskins, but the grip in the wet is truly terrifying. @The Ouzo, have you tried the Pirellis in the wet yet?

Just now, Gr3mlin131 said:

I have not had any punctures since fitting my Gatorskins, but the grip in the wet is truly terrifying. @The Ouzo, have you tried the Pirellis in the wet yet?

I have indeed. Much better grip than gatorskins.

I used to only run gatorskins, for many many years, but never felt confident in their grip dry or wet.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

I have indeed. Much better grip than gatorskins.

I used to only run gatorskins, for many many years, but never felt confident in their grip dry or wet.

Great, once my Gatorskins die I will be upgrading to the Pirellis.

Now the question best place to get them? I cannot see that any local shops stock them (Also in PE), takealot seems like the cheapest online option currently.

No such thing as a bullet proof tyre with tubes. No matter how robust your tyres are, if you ride over junk it’ll puncture. Best option is tubeless. 

There could also be little bits of junk stuck in the tyre. Sometimes these thin wires penetrate, and get stuck and keep puncturing the tube. So yeah, inspect the tyre thoroughly and remove anything stuck in there.

14 minutes ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

Now the question best place to get them? I cannot see that any local shops stock them (Also in PE), takealot seems like the cheapest online option currently.

I run 28mm and I struggled to find them, and then at the right price.

Eventually bought online from EastCityCycles in cape town and had them couriered up.

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I run 28mm and I struggled to find them, and then at the right price.

Eventually bought online from EastCityCycles in cape town and had them couriered up.

Evobikes has stock of the 26mm

https://evobikes.co.za/product/pirelli-cinturato-700-x26c-classic-tubeless-tyre/

28mm seems out of stock -

https://evobikes.co.za/product/pirelli-cinturato-700-x-28c-classic-tubeless-tyre/

I see they also have these in Gravel tyres .... may just try this the next time round.

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Evobikes has stock of the 26mm

https://evobikes.co.za/product/pirelli-cinturato-700-x26c-classic-tubeless-tyre/

28mm seems out of stock -

https://evobikes.co.za/product/pirelli-cinturato-700-x-28c-classic-tubeless-tyre/

I see they also have these in Gravel tyres .... may just try this the next time round.

pretty much what I've found when looking. most place either had just 30mm, or 26 and 30 but not 28mm.

And I looked over a good few months for them.

6 hours ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

good luck with that, i got close to 15000km on my last set...

current is close to 7000km and still looks like it'll go long time... while i can't say i notice the grip... not a good bike descender anyway i am keen to see what else there is other than gatorskins.

Edited by Meezo

1 minute ago, Meezo said:

good luck with that, i got close to 15000km on my last set...

current is close to 7000km and still looks like it'll go long time... while i can't say i notice the grip... not a good bike descender anyway. i am keen to say what else there is other than gatorskins.

I have done SBR and Amashova decending at silly speeds on Gatorskins in the dry, no issues to speak of. But once the road got wet I slid out and sat on my ass next to the road. So looking forward to these if they are that much better. 

On a side note my previous Gatorskins I had to finally bin after looking like this after 947. Still not sure what happened there, but still holding pressure. 

dedGatorskin.jpg.192822d3f06bea1a9c77ef620566a1a6.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

I have done SBR and Amashova decending at silly speeds on Gatorskins in the dry, no issues to speak of. But once the road got wet I slid out and sat on my ass next to the road. So looking forward to these if they are that much better. 

On a side note my previous Gatorskins I had to finally bin after looking like this after 947. Still not sure what happened there, but still holding pressure. 

dedGatorskin.jpg.192822d3f06bea1a9c77ef620566a1a6.jpg

I cant say I slid out with gatorskins, but the feel through the corners and sounds coming off of them never instilled confidence.