First time 360one-er

JasonHarrod

Hi all, 

This is my first time taking on 360one. Any tips that you would suggest, especially things to include/not include in the boxes and what to start the bike with given a 3pm start?

Thanks

Start with the clothing you intend to ride through the night with. Fresh clothing works wonders halfway through. Calitzdorp is very cold at 6 in the morning that time of year.

6 hours ago, Titleist said:

Start with the clothing you intend to ride through the night with. Fresh clothing works wonders halfway through. Calitzdorp is very cold at 6 in the morning that time of year.

Depending on the weather at the start, you can always "dress / layer up" at CP 1 for the night riding.  Maybe one additional layer on the bike for the last part before CP 1.

You will need to start with a light.

It will also depend on your anticipated riding time and when you reach each CP.

Little treats in boxes work wonders.

Enjoy.

Pack food. Banana bread, cold potatoes and crummy samies get a bit tired after the second WP. The first WP/CP with decent food was at the halfway mark and that is way too late to start eating proper solids. If I never see another slice of banana bread with 💩 margarine on I would die a happy ginger. This year was a proper mud fest, pay close attention to tyre clearances and consider putting a chain retention device on the chainring. I didnt finish because by the time I went over Rooiberg, I was too hungry to care anymore and just about ready to start pushing my own banana bread. I have a score to settle with this one. But first theres the small matter of a 1000km race in December 😬

Edited by gemmerbal

Aish Tienie, the last thing I found lacking at 36One is the food - although the cold and wet weather might have had something to do with your experience - I did not ride this year.

All the waterpoints generally have potatoes/sarmies/bananabread or date balls(love these) and then some have koeksisters/jellysweets/droewors etc. and the usual Biogen electrolyte/energy drink and bars/gels.

CP1 usually have soup and bread

CP2 a pasta dish/lasagna

CP3 potato dish & ostrich sosatie

If you ride with specific nutrition make these up in small ziplock bags beforehand and put in boxes/support. I also put a 'meal replacement shake' in a ziplock in at each of the checkpoints. If you are not keen on eating solids or the food provided you can have a shake which is easier to go down.

Agree with Dogs above regarding the starting apparel and treats. 

Make sure your light/GPS can take you through the race or have a spare battery/powerbank in the boxes/support.

Temps can vary a lot, from 2 degress in the lows before sunrise to 40 at midday.

There is lekker boerewors at the 154 WP and it looks like you missed out on the braaibroodjie at bottom of Rooiberg😁

This years weather was real rubbish, I normally wait till last week before to decide what goes where.

CP 2 box is the difficult one for me as you get there in middle of night, so that one just gets an extra layer, weather dependent.

Now I just have to loose those kilo's picked up since May.

On 10/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, JasonHarrod said:

Hi all, 

This is my first time taking on 360one. Any tips that you would suggest, especially things to include/not include in the boxes and what to start the bike with given a 3pm start?

Thanks

Hi, somewhere there is quite a lengthy thread on 36one on the Hub.

You can get a lot of info there, although the change to 15:00 start (from 18:00) did change the dynamics somewhat.

34 minutes ago, Dogs said:

Hi, somewhere there is quite a lengthy thread on 36one on the Hub.

You can get a lot of info there, although the change to 15:00 start (from 18:00) did change the dynamics somewhat.

Yip - think the 2018/9 and 2021 threads have the most info.

Change of clothing at cp3 is nice and there is a shower there which, if you not chasing time, gives a boost

The last 80 after cp3 is in many ways the toughest section of the race. It's tempting to think ah it's only 80 and then it's done as you ride out of calitzdorp but those hills can be quite psychologically damaging. Not to be underestimated.

The last 20 of that 80 are pretty dull and nice and flat. Highlight there is the friendly and very sweet schoolkids who staff the last refreshment station.

Food and water points are beyond reproach.

Without doubt my favourite event of the year. Lining up for my 3rd one in 2024 and already looking forward.

On 10/25/2023 at 9:43 PM, Mamil said:

Change of clothing at cp3 is nice and there is a shower there which, if you not chasing time, gives a boost

The last 80 after cp3 is in many ways the toughest section of the race. It's tempting to think ah it's only 80 and then it's done as you ride out of calitzdorp but those hills can be quite psychologically damaging. Not to be underestimated.

The last 20 of that 80 are pretty dull and nice and flat. Highlight there is the friendly and very sweet schoolkids who staff the last refreshment station.

Food and water points are beyond reproach.

Without doubt my favourite event of the year. Lining up for my 3rd one in 2024 and already looking forward.

Thanks Mamil helpful. Will see you there for 2024