Study Bursaries

BaGearA

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I used to firmly believe this. To a large extent I still believe this, but it would seem many companies and recruiters do not. As someone that has been looking at job listings almost daily for a very long time, even many mundane jobs are listed with having xyz degree as minimum requirement.

Even if you have the experience to do the job, your CV never gets past the initial screening process because no degree.

so if you have the will power to tackle a degree now, then do it. 

Never going to hurt your career getting a degree that’s for sure. 

and my experience echoes what you mention. Many companies now insist on a tertiary education before employing ,  I can only see this becoming more stringent in the future to be honest. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

RE a degree 

I can build a hell of a life here ( RSA ) without one , just keeping up at my current job or going back to Electrical or the Bicycle world I have people that want me to come back and will immediately have a job for me 

BUT 

That's here( in RSA ) , I don't want to be here and that's where the paperwork comes in. 

So update 

I'm going to do A Higher certificate in Marketing through Boston next year. 1 year course and recognized by USAF to guarantee the certificate of exemption. If I then choose to do a BCOM in Marketing with Boston it will only need 2.5 years as some 1st year subjects are shared in the higher certificate course and Boston will pull the marks through to essentially make the first year go very easy/quick. 

Expensive as hell( I might need to take a loan 🤦‍♂️) but there's a solid path that has a 3.5 year timeline to it to get me a degree and another 3.5 years experience in the food and beverage industry where I'm sure I'm still going to be exposed to lots of different areas. 

16 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I used to firmly believe this. To a large extent I still believe this, but it would seem many companies and recruiters do not. As someone that has been looking at job listings almost daily for a very long time, even many mundane jobs are listed with having xyz degree as minimum requirement.

Even if you have the experience to do the job, your CV never gets past the initial screening process because no degree.

so if you have the will power to tackle a degree now, then do it. 

What are you doing and what are you hoping to go do ?

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

What are you doing and what are you hoping to go do ?

This forum software doesnt have enough storage space for everything I've done.

But long story short, 15 years in the IT field, 12 years of doing other things, currently selling cars and want to get back into the IT field. But Age, Race and no degree means my CV doesnt get past initial screening phase.

29 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

This forum software doesnt have enough storage space for everything I've done.

But long story short, 15 years in the IT field, 12 years of doing other things, currently selling cars and want to get back into the IT field. But Age, Race and no degree means my CV doesnt get past initial screening phase.

Best advice i have is looking at the carbonite forum 

Tons of jobs being posted everyday all over and if you find something there word spreads fast ive heard.

Sorry to hear , I really hope something comes through for you soon 

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

RE a degree 

I can build a hell of a life here ( RSA ) without one , just keeping up at my current job or going back to Electrical or the Bicycle world I have people that want me to come back and will immediately have a job for me 

BUT 

That's here( in RSA ) , I don't want to be here and that's where the paperwork comes in. 

So update 

I'm going to do A Higher certificate in Marketing through Boston next year. 1 year course and recognized by USAF to guarantee the certificate of exemption. If I then choose to do a BCOM in Marketing with Boston it will only need 2.5 years as some 1st year subjects are shared in the higher certificate course and Boston will pull the marks through to essentially make the first year go very easy/quick. 

Expensive as hell( I might need to take a loan 🤦‍♂️) but there's a solid path that has a 3.5 year timeline to it to get me a degree and another 3.5 years experience in the food and beverage industry where I'm sure I'm still going to be exposed to lots of different areas. 

Congrats. That’s awesome. 

My hopes of upping my credit to cover the course did not work out. 

Perfect history on repayments and settling the card multiple times every month is apparently not good enough for them to even increase it slightly , credit score also went up since sorting some fraud out that happened through MRP.

So with a very heavy heart i sold my omega a few hours ago. Got the funds and that will now be used to pay for next year.

Weird feeling...

14 hours ago, BaGearA said:

My hopes of upping my credit to cover the course did not work out. 

Perfect history on repayments and settling the card multiple times every month is apparently not good enough for them to even increase it slightly , credit score also went up since sorting some fraud out that happened through MRP.

So with a very heavy heart i sold my omega a few hours ago. Got the funds and that will now be used to pay for next year.

Weird feeling...

It will be worth it in the long run. Take heart. Knuckle down and get distinctions. Possessions can be bought again. 

just a point I want to raise. In a previous post you mentioned you can build a hell of a life in ZA, or something like that. If you can why would you look at moving?

3 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

just a point I want to raise. In a previous post you mentioned you can build a hell of a life in ZA, or something like that. If you can why would you look at moving?

That life would still have me driving around daily locking my doors every time I stop , having to come to green traffic lights and still look out for a taxi speeding over at 130 while we're in domestic areas. 

Nearly everyday I have to sit in traffic for nearly an hour because entitled scum drive up emergency lanes and try to shove in everywhere causing everyone to break the flow , this is not just taxi's but they're 90% of it. 

People casually selling Senior certificates or regulated medication on facebook market place  

The list goes on for pages and pages but even if you get past the tough financial conditions ( I'm very aware of just how privilaged I am ) then you're still in a beautiful place slowly being ruined by obscene criminality and lawlessness. 

I go though everyday life wishing horrific things to happen to these things that walk among me and it not that I'm just imagining it , its happening so blatantly Infront of me that it makes me sick.

I can understand that petty crime and opportunists are around in every country but they likely have electricity , running water , decent road infrastructure ect. ect. 

I'd rather work hard and enjoy where I live than work easy and tip toe around just so me or family don't get murdered cause I wouldn't let the drug dealer butt in the line I've been waiting in for 10mins case I'm a ******* HUMAN.

Its taking a toll on my mental health and maybe its just cause I'm based in JHB now but RSA is going down the toilet. Not NEARLY as quick as all these doom and gloom preachers try to convince everyone but its steady and ever evolving. 

And I already can't stand it 

Trust me this is the summarized version , i could go on a rant about this place that will make Bill Burr sit down 

I hear you man. It’s why most folks leave. 

I left much too late in life. I will never have the material things I had in ZA as far as big house, fancy cars and the like but I am far happier here. Walk my dog in the forests etc. it’s something worth aspiring too. Not perfect but I have no concern for my or my families personal safety.

Good luck. a watch is replaceable, an education lasts a lifetime. But start looking now overseas, possibly an opportunity presents. 

22 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

I hear you man. It’s why most folks leave. 

I left much too late in life. I will never have the material things I had in ZA as far as big house, fancy cars and the like but I am far happier here. Walk my dog in the forests etc. it’s something worth aspiring too. Not perfect but I have no concern for my or my families personal safety.

Good luck. a watch is replaceable, an education lasts a lifetime. But start looking now overseas, possibly an opportunity presents. 

There's an agency here in JHB that recons I just need another  years at my current job and they can get me into Aus with some restrictive rules for a few years but still. ( that's without me studying anything )

I think going back to them with a degree and some certificates in a few years will get me out quick.

I'll stop talking about emigration now