TR kids bike dropping chain - solution?

RobynE

Hi guys.

Solution for narrow-wide chain ring for 8 speed (Microshift Mezzo) 1x bike that keeps dropping its chain over bumps?

OEM chain ring is a Prowheel 32T 165mm.  It’s not narrow-wide. 

OEM TR crank and crank arms. 

It was dropping it behind the ring so I put a chain catcher on. It’s dropping it less now but when it does it’s onto the crank arm and it’s still dropping it daily as my kiddo trundles over our dirt roads. 

Tried so far: removed 2 links from OEM chain - achieved less bounce but still dropped behind; fitted new chain (adjusted) at LBS - same outcome as OEM; now the chain catcher - better but still drops but now in front. 

So I’m thinking the new solution is a narrow-wide chain ring but what do I shop for?

I am planning on changing the drivetrain as the Mezzo isn’t fantastic in general but until I do I’d like to keep riding instead of having to circle back and get my hands dirty lol - and let my kiddo enjoy bombing down hills which she’s currently apprehensive about. 

Kiddo will have the bike for at least a couple more years I think. 

Could be too little tension on the chain. 

Does it happen on all gears ? 

Is the derailleur fitted nicely against the stop ?

Edited by dasilvarsa

RD doesn't have a clutch, no NW chain ring or extra tension will save you.

2 options - first is a chain guide, second is a 10sp Shimano Linkglide drivetrain upgrade which you can transplant to the next bike if you like.

11 minutes ago, droo said:

RD doesn't have a clutch, no NW chain ring or extra tension will save you.

2 options - first is a chain guide, second is a 10sp Shimano Linkglide drivetrain upgrade which you can transplant to the next bike if you like.

Thanks @droo - I understand. 

Chain guide it will be to get us through to when I can get the bike to RobertWhitehead to change the drivetrain! 

Thanks guys. 

….hmmmmm though I don’t know if it’s dropping it at the top or bottom - I am guessing bottom - which I think complicates things. 

If it's dropping at the bottom you need to teach the sprog not to back pedal through rough stuff. Clutch and NW will help but not cure that issue, and a chain guide will only help if it hods the chain on properly at the top so it can remount or if it's got a lower guide as well.

48 minutes ago, droo said:

If it's dropping at the bottom you need to teach the sprog not to back pedal through rough stuff. Clutch and NW will help but not cure that issue, and a chain guide will only help if it hods the chain on properly at the top so it can remount or if it's got a lower guide as well.

Back pedalling is one of her favourite “tricks” so not an impossibility that she’s already pedalling it off a bit before she hits the rough. Good thinking. Let me monitor for a few days and see if I can work it out. 

20 minutes ago, RobynE said:

Back pedalling is one of her favourite “tricks” so not an impossibility that she’s already pedalling it off a bit before she hits the rough. Good thinking. Let me monitor for a few days and see if I can work it out. 

I think you found your problem.

Back pedalling and changing gears at the same time could make it worse.