Titan Racing Cypher 120 Sport

Andrewdevil

Hi all,

I'm a youngster that's currently riding a Scott Aspect 910 29er medium frame, I've outgrown it and I'm looking to upgrade to a large frame dual suspension bike that won't break the bank.

There's currently a very good offer on the Titan Racing Cypher 120 Sport on cycle lab, I've attached the link below, but I'm looking for some guidance regarding the microshift advent drivetrain and components... I'm not worried about having the lightest and most expensive components, I'm just looking for something reliable and smooth, does microshift advent fit these characteristics?

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/1014718-bike-mtb-ds-alu-titan-cypher-120-sport?source=google&medium=ppc&campaignid=18368580131&adgroupid=&device=t&keyword=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvoqsBhB9EiwA9XTWGcyLjxZzbD-VPQSZznx6mANlAWYmrnkAxogrwNiYFjPdRXTeQ-0WYRoCtCoQAvD_BwE

6 minutes ago, Andrewdevil said:

Hi all,

I'm a youngster that's currently riding a Scott Aspect 910 29er medium frame, I've outgrown it and I'm looking to upgrade to a large frame dual suspension bike that won't break the bank.

There's currently a very good offer on the Titan Racing Cypher 120 Sport on cycle lab, I've attached the link below, but I'm looking for some guidance regarding the microshift advent drivetrain and components... I'm not worried about having the lightest and most expensive components, I'm just looking for something reliable and smooth, does microshift advent fit these characteristics?

https://www.cyclelab.com/product/1014718-bike-mtb-ds-alu-titan-cypher-120-sport?source=google&medium=ppc&campaignid=18368580131&adgroupid=&device=t&keyword=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvoqsBhB9EiwA9XTWGcyLjxZzbD-VPQSZznx6mANlAWYmrnkAxogrwNiYFjPdRXTeQ-0WYRoCtCoQAvD_BwE

Hi Andrew. Hope you are good. I'm currently using sram xx1 and have run deore XT all my life. I am not sure about Microshift and have never heard about it. My take is to buy this bike and then switch to second hand shimano or sram components. 

I have Microshift Advent 1 x 10 on my hybrid bike and while I do enjoy it and it is reliable, it is definitely not as precise and low maintenance as the SRAM GX 1x11 I have on my MTB particularly on the climbs and where you need to rapidly shift on the fly. 

I would definitely look for something that has SRAM or Shimano 1 x 11 or 1 x 12 components with good quality shifters and other parts. 

Also, the Judy Silver fork is a bit meh. 

Within your budget there are a couple of good quality dualsus L bikes advertised on the Hub with better components. Eg. There is a Ghost Lector (Ghost is such a great brand and really underrated), a Momsen Vipa, a Specialized Epic Comp and a few others all under R18k. They will also retain their value for when you feel you want to upgrade again down the line. 

For a dual sus with decent geo that's a pretty good price, and will come with a warranty.

Microshift - pretty entry level, but they've been improving. It'll work until it doesn't - ride it till it falls off, then replace with what you actually want.

4 minutes ago, RobynE said:

Within your budget there are a couple of good quality dualsus L bikes advertised on the Hub with better components. Eg. There is a Ghost Lector (Ghost is such a great brand and really underrated), a Momsen Vipa, a Specialized Epic Comp and a few others all under R18k.

I suspect that most of those will need serious work, and the Cypher is far more up to date ITO geometry.

Agree that the spec on the Titan could be better, but at that price point it's a tradeoff between a decent frame and a decent build kit. I'd go with frame every time. Fork and wheels are the first upgrades, and the rest you ride till it falls off.

18 minutes ago, RobynE said:

I have Microshift Advent 1 x 10 on my hybrid bike and while I do enjoy it and it is reliable, it is definitely not as precise and low maintenance as the SRAM GX 1x11 I have on my MTB particularly on the climbs and where you need to rapidly shift on the fly. 

I would definitely look for something that has SRAM or Shimano 1 x 11 or 1 x 12 components with good quality shifters and other parts. 

Also, the Judy Silver fork is a bit meh. 

Within your budget there are a couple of good quality dualsus L bikes advertised on the Hub with better components. Eg. There is a Ghost Lector (Ghost is such a great brand and really underrated), a Momsen Vipa, a Specialized Epic Comp and a few others all under R18k. They will also retain their value for when you feel you want to upgrade again down the line. 

Hi, thanks for your reply! There is also a pre owned one with a Shimano drivetrain and components but with a SR Suntour Raidon fork for the same price, do you think this a better deal? https://www.cyclelab.com/product/25139910043-used-mtb-dual-sus-alu-bikes-titan-cypher-120-sport

2 hours ago, Andrewdevil said:

Hi all,

Friend of mine has this exact same bike. He has been to various bike parks, done a couple of 100km+ rides and is very happy with his.

Had it for about 6 months and only fitted a dropper and different tyres to it.

probably done about 2000km on it.

57 minutes ago, Andrewdevil said:

Not really, if I’m honest. I still think there’s better bang for buck out there and you’ll pick up an 11 or 12 speed with Fox or Rockshox for the same price. Fox and Rockshox are very serviceable, which helps.

But if you’re really set on Titan, then you’d need to try both bikes out and see which one feels better. 

1 hour ago, droo said:

I suspect that most of those will need serious work, and the Cypher is far more up to date ITO geometry.

Agree that the spec on the Titan could be better, but at that price point it's a tradeoff between a decent frame and a decent build kit. I'd go with frame every time. Fork and wheels are the first upgrades, and the rest you ride till it falls off.

@droo would you rate the Cypher frame over an older model Trek/Giant/Spez frame? 

1 hour ago, Andrewdevil said:

Hi, thanks for your reply! There is also a pre owned one with a Shimano drivetrain and components but with a SR Suntour Raidon fork for the same price, do you think this a better deal? https://www.cyclelab.com/product/25139910043-used-mtb-dual-sus-alu-bikes-titan-cypher-120-sport

IF you decide to go for the secondhand model - read up on the process to transfer the 5 year warrantee.  ALSO check that the previous owner registered it and has all the paperwork in place to transfer the warrantee.

Not sure if @Titan Racing Bikes can assist you with this.

@droo has a lot more experience with this than me, I would go with his recommendation

11 minutes ago, RobynE said:

@droo would you rate the Cypher frame over an older model Trek/Giant/Spez frame? 

In this price range, most likely. From about 2019 - 2020 onwards you can find XC and marathon bikes with progressive geo, but you need to know what you're looking for.

49 minutes ago, droo said:

In this price range, most likely. From about 2019 - 2020 onwards you can find XC and marathon bikes with progressive geo, but you need to know what you're looking for.

I hear you. Are there any older frames that you’d still give a thumbs up to for XC/Marathon? 

13 hours ago, RobynE said:

I hear you. Are there any older frames that you’d still give a thumbs up to for XC/Marathon? 

For marathon you'll get away with most things as long as they're 29" if you're not too worried about the descents. XC and light trail use the one that I'd probably go for is the 2017+ Scott Spark 120. 

But be prepared to spend on getting whatever you buy fixed up. Most "bargain" bikes in this segment have been ridden 6 times round the world with very little servicing - a FS that's been treated like a road bike and pressure washed at least once a week is going to need a lot of stuff replaced.

17 hours ago, Andrewdevil said:

Hi all,

Thanks for considering our brand. 👊

If it helps, we are also the support agents for Microshift in South Africa. Meaning in the case something does wear out or break or gets damaged on the trail, we will be able to provide parts and spares to your LBS. 

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

IF you decide to go for the secondhand model - read up on the process to transfer the 5 year warrantee.  ALSO check that the previous owner registered it and has all the paperwork in place to transfer the warrantee.

Not sure if @Titan Racing Bikes can assist you with this.

We can! @Andrewdevil Just needs to email the serial number to us (info at titanrachingbikes.com ) and we will be able to confirm it on our system. 

On 12/20/2023 at 3:25 PM, Andrewdevil said:

Hi all,

Very good bang for buck! Hard to find a new dual sus at that price.

On 12/20/2023 at 6:18 PM, RobynE said:

Not really, if I’m honest. I still think there’s better bang for buck out there and you’ll pick up an 11 or 12 speed with Fox or Rockshox for the same price. Fox and Rockshox are very serviceable, which helps.

But if you’re really set on Titan, then you’d need to try both bikes out and see which one feels better. 

Hi again, hope you had a good Christmas! I’ve found another deal on an older second hand 2020 titan cypher rs expert with much better components, SRAM SX 1 x 12 and a Markhor Manitou 120mm front fork. What are your thoughts on this fork, is it better than the Judy Silver?