Gravel Bike - 1 x or 2 x Groupset

Johan1983

4 hours ago, Johan1983 said:

Can i use my old Ultegra Rim Brake Shifters with Disc Calipers?

Yes you can, ideally with those fancy cable to hydraulic calipers like the ones from TRP or like I do with mechanical calipers

I must just add that if you decide to go with mechanical calipers, in my experience anyway they can be tricky to get just right and they do need adjustment quite often to keep that feel

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Yes you can, ideally with those fancy cable to hydraulic calipers like the ones from TRP or like I do with mechanical calipers

I must just add that if you decide to go with mechanical calipers, in my experience anyway they can be tricky to get just right and they do need adjustment quite often to keep that feel

And mechanical does not have the  better stopping power.  The TRP ones are good, if you can find them!! 

I ride a HT /gravel bike with a 36 x 11,42 cassette ten speed that i have used for the Swartberg grand fondo .Worked fine except for the last 500m where it gets very steep .Recently bought a Cannondale topstone with a GRX 11 speed 2 x setup . I have several other 1 x 12 eagle bikes . I am at a point that i want to convert some of my 1 x setups back to 2 x 11 .The best ratio for all bike riding is 2 x 11 imo .I currently have two eagle cassettes that are jumping on the smallest ring while the rest is still perfect .To replace  both is the same price as a full bike with a 2 x setup .Long live 2 x 11 for road ,gravel and MTB  .I now use my gravel bike as my standard road bike and i can ride the steepest of single tract with it also  

Edited by eala

9 hours ago, Johan1983 said:

Can i use my old Ultegra Rim Brake Shifters with Disc Calipers?

There are currently 3 guys on Bikehub selling TRP Spyre mechanical calipers. These are EXCELLENT brakes, and being dual sided/piston, both pads move and it avoids alot of the finicky adjusting most mechanical brakes require. For the price it's a great start. 

There are also 2 guys selling a single TRP HY/RD each. These are cable actuated hydraulics, so the reservoir is in the brake. Not sure how risky they are to buy 2nd hand, but by the time you spend on those, you may as well go proper hydro. 

If you're on a budget and want to use your shifters, grab a set of Spyres and you'll be happy

Edited by RossTopher

On 1/15/2024 at 8:45 PM, Vaultboy said:

Yup. In my experience, the biggest issue with a 1x is often matching the speed of a bunch. Then I'm either over or undergeared, forcing me to ride at a cadence that's just out of the comfort zone. Its not hard, but its just one more thing you don't want or need to consciously be paying attention to. This is only an issue racing and in the bunch.

But overall, my bigger question to you guys is what about component durability? Having only ridden 8, 10 and 12 speed, I am just not impressed with the limited lifespan of 12x components. 10 speed (and therefore 2x10) feels like the sweet spot between durability, cost and gear range.

I hear your concern .I have multiple 1 x 12 eagle geared bikes and my latest is a gravel bike with 2 x 11 Shimano GRX .I previously also had a 2 x 11 Shimano XT full sus bike .I have no problem with a 2 x 11 setup .In fact i prefer it over 1 x 12 .The only time i would choose 1 x again is when i expect wet conditions .The cheaper sram eagle setups like NX don,t work well .Maybe i should just go back to shimano 12 speed ? 

Johan, just scanned this thread quickly and couldn't see where you mentioned the frame. What frame are you using, and does it lend itself to a front derailleur? ie. Not all gravel frames are designed for 2 x or have cable stoppers for a front derailleur? 🙃