Protein supplement recommendations

Sampaj

Hi, any suggestions? There’s sooo many options. Where does one start?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only take whey protein and pure creatine monohydrate. These are two of the very few supplements with actual science backing its efficacy. My training load also isn't that high (only about 8 hours per week), so strictly speaking I don't need any supplementation if I eat a balanced diet. But I back the science of creatine and I enjoy snacking on protein shakes.

I try to solve for purity and price, and I've found that My Wellness has an 75% purity whey product for under R0.40/g protein. Then I try to look for 500g pure creatine monohydrate for around R300. 

Some more of my beliefs.

• Unless medically prescribed, most supplements have no benefit, apart from placebo.
  • Supplements should not take the place of the unsexy basics of consistently doing the right things (7+ hours sleep, balanced diet, community, strength, cardio, flexibility).

Very keen to hear other hubbers knowledge on this subject, I know very little.

Edited by JayLow
fixed the links

35 minutes ago, JayLow said:

I only take whey protein and pure creatine monohydrate. These are two of the very few supplements with actual science backing its efficacy. My training load also isn't that high (only about 8 hours per week), so strictly speaking I don't need any supplementation if I eat a balanced diet. But I back the science of creatine and I enjoy snacking on protein shakes.

I try to solve for purity and price, and I've found that My Wellness has an 75% purity whey product for under R0.40/g protein. Then I try to look for 500g pure creatine monohydrate for around R300. 

Some more of my beliefs.

• Unless medically prescribed, most supplements have no benefit, apart from placebo.
  • Supplements should not take the place of the unsexy basics of consistently doing the right things (7+ hours sleep, balanced diet, community, strength, cardio, flexibility).

Very keen to hear other hubbers knowledge on this subject, I know very little.

Appreciate your time to respond in detail. Do you have a link to my wellness product?

I am also looking forward to the hubs response to this topic. 

5 minutes ago, Sampaj said:

Appreciate your time to respond in detail. Do you have a link to my wellness product?

I am also looking forward to the hubs response to this topic. 

Is the link not in my post? I thought I hyperlinked it.

These are three links that should be in there:

Edited by JayLow
made bullets

I’m aiming for around 1.4 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Getting all of that from food alone can be a bit tricky, so I lean on protein shakes to make up the difference. The only time I’ll have it as a shake is right after a workout. For breakfast, I’m either adding it to my oats or making some protein waffles.

I’ve given quite a few brands a go, but at the moment, I’m really getting on well with Clear Nutrition 100% 

Here is a list of the most common types of protein available. While Whey is definitely the popular choice, you might want to consider another, depending on your dietary requirements.

• Whey Protein: Fast-absorbing, ideal for post-exercise recovery.
  • Casein Protein: Slow-releasing, perfect for consumption before bedtime.
  • Soy Protein: Plant-based, contains all essential amino acids, suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
  • Pea Protein: Another plant-based option, rich in BCAAs, excellent for those with allergies to dairy or soy.
  • Hemp Protein: Plant-based, includes essential fatty acids along with protein, beneficial for omega-3 and omega-6.
  • Rice Protein: Vegan-friendly, often combined with pea protein to improve the amino acid profile.
  • Mixed Plant Proteins: A combination of various plant sources to offer a complete amino acid profile, catering to vegan and vegetarian diets.

You will also find variants/stacks of the above, the same protein base but with added BCAAs, creatine, etc.

don't forget collagen protein...also helps rebuild cartilage and connective tissue

I have used a variety of products so my feedback is based on personal preference.

1. EVOX Lean-Pro Lite: 20g of protein and its  Low carb and its plant protein and it doesn't taste nasty like most plant protein powders. This is diet shake so it bloats the stomach to create that satiated feeling

2. Biogen Rage Impact Whey: Has about 27g of protein per serving and also has some creatine.

3. Biogen Complete Whey: 25g of protein. Its a blend of whey and plant protein. Taste is not too nasty as it also has cocoa

4. Biogen Iso Whey Premium: Recommended by my dietician but I am yet to try it.

Edited by Ncayi

18 minutes ago, guidodg said:

don't forget collagen protein...also helps rebuild cartilage and connective tissue

You're spot on, thank you for highlighting that. Collagen, in its peptide form, is absorbed differently by the body, specifically aiding skin and joint health, unlike traditional protein powders such as whey and casein, which are tailored for muscle development and repair.

Collagen Protein is derived from animal connective tissues, bones, and skin, setting it apart from the muscle protein found in whey, casein, or plant-based options.

Protein varieties such as Whey, Casein, Soy, Pea, Hemp, Rice, and Mixed Plant Proteins come from milk or plant sources, providing a wealth of essential amino acids vital for muscle repair, growth, and metabolic functions.

The sources of Collagen include:

• Bovine Collagen: Extracted from cow skin, bones, and muscles.
  • Marine Collagen: Obtained from fish skin.
  • Chicken Collagen: Sourced from chicken bones and cartilage.
  • Porcine Collagen: Taken from pig skin, bones, and tissues.

How much do you need extra daily ? 

Due to my diet now I'm on 3-5 eggs every morning at 5:30 and I only really get hungry around 13:30 again. Gets tons of protein , fats to help with vitamin absorption ( I take my vitamins in the morning ) 

15- 25 grams of protein give or take , I buy XL eggs from a local butcher 

5 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

How much do you need extra daily ? 

Due to my diet now I'm on 3-5 eggs every morning at 5:30 and I only really get hungry around 13:30 again. Gets tons of protein , fats to help with vitamin absorption ( I take my vitamins in the morning ) 

15- 25 grams of protein give or take , I buy XL eggs from a local butcher 

The amount of protein you require each day can vary greatly depending on several factors, including age, gender, weight, health status, and level of physical activity. Broad guidelines are:

• Average Adults: The Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) recommends 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day for the average adult. This means if you weigh 70 kg, you would need about 56 grams of protein daily.
  • Active Adults: For those who are more physically active, particularly those participating in regular strength training or endurance activities, the recommendation may increase to 1.2 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day.

7 minutes ago, Dappere said:

The amount of protein you require each day can vary greatly depending on several factors, including age, gender, weight, health status, and level of physical activity. Broad guidelines are:

• Average Adults: The Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) recommends 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day for the average adult. This means if you weigh 70 kg, you would need about 56 grams of protein daily.
  • Active Adults: For those who are more physically active, particularly those participating in regular strength training or endurance activities, the recommendation may increase to 1.2 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day.

I was more referring to the Op and how he can maybe achieve this just by modifying breakfast.

My current diet skews the line a bit , 67kgs buck ass naked and sitting at well over 160 grams per day 

8 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I was more referring to the Op and how he can maybe achieve this just by modifying breakfast.

My current diet skews the line a bit , 67kgs buck ass naked and sitting at well over 160 grams per day 

Understood, but that assumes the OP has a clear target for their protein intake. Your question made me realise we're dishing out lots of good advice but missing a simple starter guide. Saying a product has 20g of protein per serving is all well and good, but it's a bit meaningless without the bigger picture.

At 67kg, you're on 2.3g of protein per kg of body weight, which is pretty steep. Curious to hear what your training schedule looks like to warrant that level of intake.

1 hour ago, guidodg said:

This is a great example of one of those hyped up supplements with very little science backing it up. Currently most of the science is funded by the industry itself, and there aren't a lot of RCT human studies to back the claims. It's very expensive, and it might not even work, because it seems to get broken down into aminos in the GI system in any case.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/collagen/