Garmin 1030 Battery

MudLark

Hi guys,

My Garmin 1030 battery has started swelling and lifted the screen although it otherwise works entirely normally. I simply can't find a replacment battery anywhere locally and importing is impossible with the regulations around shipping lithium batteries. But I have found someone who thinks they may well be able to repack the battery for me - they do it for a lot of devices. Certainly a lot cheaper than a new device and the unit is going to useless anyway without a functioning battery. Anyone tried this repacking option and if so, what has the experience been?

Any other options for sorting out the battery issue short of replacing the device?

For some reason, Makro online is advertising Garmin replacement accessories, including batteries, I haven't quite figured out how to match their numbers to the Garmin product numbers, I'm sure if you have the specs of the battery you can come right. Below link as an example.

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-computers/navigation-accessories/gps-navigation-systems/gps-accessories/-cameron-sino-replacement-battery-for-compatible-with-garmin-361-00019-02-ia2b309c4b32-/p/f853c15f-69ba-4f13-bbaf-d4ebd455bc0c?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzoeuBhDqARIsAMdH14HkVKNv4ORiWL_0HEHcoTRJKwk-bO80-JZUo4lChZPf0e-kCo8wqBcaAv2dEALw_wcB

RC and robotics shops stock batteries that will fit. Just pop the current one out and measure it (there are many instructions on the interwebs), then find one that fits and splice it in.

@phenning did it with his 130 not too long ago, a quick search will turn up the thread here.

1 hour ago, dardo82 said:

For some reason, Makro online is advertising Garmin replacement accessories, including batteries, I haven't quite figured out how to match their numbers to the Garmin product numbers, I'm sure if you have the specs of the battery you can come right. Below link as an example.

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-computers/navigation-accessories/gps-navigation-systems/gps-accessories/-cameron-sino-replacement-battery-for-compatible-with-garmin-361-00019-02-ia2b309c4b32-/p/f853c15f-69ba-4f13-bbaf-d4ebd455bc0c?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzoeuBhDqARIsAMdH14HkVKNv4ORiWL_0HEHcoTRJKwk-bO80-JZUo4lChZPf0e-kCo8wqBcaAv2dEALw_wcB

Thank you. I have seen those but cannot identify a compatible one. Problem is that they also not avilable in-store so I can't go and compare items either.

44 minutes ago, droo said:

RC and robotics shops stock batteries that will fit. Just pop the current one out and measure it (there are many instructions on the interwebs), then find one that fits and splice it in.

@phenning did it with his 130 not too long ago, a quick search will turn up the thread here.

Thanks Droo. I might have to do this as well in the end. Wife might be on a trip to the UK shortly though so possibly also could get one there for me,

6 hours ago, MudLark said:

Hi guys,

My Garmin 1030 battery has started swelling and lifted the screen although it otherwise works entirely normally. I simply can't find a replacment battery anywhere locally and importing is impossible with the regulations around shipping lithium batteries. But I have found someone who thinks they may well be able to repack the battery for me - they do it for a lot of devices. Certainly a lot cheaper than a new device and the unit is going to useless anyway without a functioning battery. Anyone tried this repacking option and if so, what has the experience been?

Any other options for sorting out the battery issue short of replacing the device?

Garmin will replace it. It will just take about  3 weeks if you need it posted back to you. 
if you In jhb you it might be quicker turn around

Thanks Diesel. I live just around the corner from them so will check it out. In the past all battery issues with Garmin have been 'buy a new one at a discount' and the discount basically takes you to the same price - or just a bit under Easy Bike. But maybe that's my best option anyway. Will contact them.

Edited by MudLark

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Garmin will replace it. It will just take about  3 weeks if you need it posted back to you. 

If you can get inside the unit Just pop the plastic with a pin.  I do it to RC Helicopter batteries and they work normal after. Don't Know about Garmin Batteries but it should be the same technology.

5 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

If you can get inside the unit Just pop the plastic with a pin.  I do it to RC Helicopter batteries and they work normal after. Don't Know about Garmin Batteries but it should be the same technology.

If you’re saying to pop the swollen battery with a pin, then that is incredibly bad advice. My team deals with dozens of device battery changes a day, but we have a protocol that kicks in with swollen batteries that requires special handling, packaging and shipping rather than dealing in house with them as the risks are very high of a thermal event. If I’ve misunderstood your advice, apologies and ignore the above but sticking a pin into a swollen lithium ion battery is not something to ever do. 

On 2/7/2024 at 3:15 PM, DieselnDust said:

Thanks Diesel. I went to see them and it looks like they might well simply replace the unit with a new one - or possibly against a relatively small contribution. Looks like the option that might make the most sense for me.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:40 PM, BigDL said:

If you’re saying to pop the swollen battery with a pin, then that is incredibly bad advice. My team deals with dozens of device battery changes a day, but we have a protocol that kicks in with swollen batteries that requires special handling, packaging and shipping rather than dealing in house with them as the risks are very high of a thermal event. If I’ve misunderstood your advice, apologies and ignore the above but sticking a pin into a swollen lithium ion battery is not something to ever do. 

I have read other sites suggesting popping the battery. I am doubtful of the wisdom. If all.else fails, I will have the battery repacked.

1 hour ago, MudLark said:

I have read other sites suggesting popping the battery. I am doubtful of the wisdom. If all.else fails, I will have the battery repacked.

You can’t, it’s a single cel lithium polymer. If you pop it you risk shorting it out and that means it will go whooosh. 
just replace it if you can get  into the unit 

13 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

You can’t, it’s a single cel lithium polymer. If you pop it you risk shorting it out and that means it will go whooosh. 
just replace it if you can get  into the unit 

You definitely can.

You really shouldn't, but you can.

18 hours ago, MudLark said:

Please please please don't pop a Lithium battery because someone on the internet said so. If you have a thermal event, you will *** bricks. We've had a few over the years and that's in a controlled environment. I would hate to have one at home. 

Well, that could get exciting. 

2 hours ago, BigDL said:

Please please please don't pop a Lithium battery because someone on the internet said so. If you have a thermal event, you will *** bricks. We've had a few over the years and that's in a controlled environment. I would hate to have one at home. 

On 2/7/2024 at 5:40 PM, BigDL said:

@BigDLYou don't stick a pin into the battery. The LI-Po Batteries on the RC Helicopters Are Packed in Plastic and they get a Build Up of Gas Inside the Plastic Packaging You just pop the Packaging not the Battery. If You Stick anything into the Battery it Could Go UP in Flames. In the Picture I show one that's been Popped and still works perfectly. 

batt1.jpg

Edited by dasilvarsa