Franschoek Pass

CMDC

Anyone know whether Franschoek Pass will be open for cyclists and cars tomorrow mid morning? 

26 minutes ago, Mamil said:

How is the pass looking?

We drove it a few weeks back.

Still 5 or 6 Stop-Go bits.  This is probably the reason for closure during working hours, as they gradually fix these bits.  Some of this requires emergency measures before the winter rains destroys these sections !!!

The rest of the road is exactly as it was before the storms.

I was up there on Saturday - its looking good - lots of work to be done. Its closed Mon - Fri 8 am to 5pm to all vehicles including cyclists and also meant to be permanently closed to any vehicle over 5 tons but that didnt seem to deter a Pick n Pay truck from Lieben Logistics, a pantecnicon over 5 tons clearly who just wiped his ar$e on us waving at him and ignored us as he went over there. Good one Pick n Pay and Lieben - great example of law abiding drivers - when profit is in play the laws fall by the way.

Otherwise a very nice ride as its less busy. Weeeknds its open.

3 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I was up there on Saturday - its looking good - lots of work to be done. Its closed Mon - Fri 8 am to 5pm to all vehicles including cyclists and also meant to be permanently closed to any vehicle over 5 tons but that didnt seem to deter a Pick n Pay truck from Lieben Logistics, a pantecnicon over 5 tons clearly who just wiped his ar$e on us waving at him and ignored us as he went over there. Good one Pick n Pay and Lieben - great example of law abiding drivers - when profit is in play the laws fall by the way.

Otherwise a very nice ride as its less busy. Weeeknds its open.

Our last drive over there we got stuck behind a Ceres Growers truck .... found it strange,  A Ceres truck has so many other options to get over the mountain.

But yes, these large trucks just dont care ....

PS - when you stop and look at the damage, you will understand why there is a weight limit at the moment.  These trucks should be impounded

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Our last drive over there we got stuck behind a Ceres Growers truck .... found it strange,  A Ceres truck has so many other options to get over the mountain.

But yes, these large trucks just dont care ....

PS - when you stop and look at the damage, you will understand why there is a weight limit at the moment.  These trucks should be impounded

i was told that one of the locals stopped a Shoprite articulated truck on entry and made him reverse down the access road past taal monument - didnt see it happen though

5 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

i was told that one of the locals stopped a Shoprite articulated truck on entry and made him reverse down the access road past taal monument - didnt see it happen though

Taal Monument is in Paarl? Long way to reverse.

Thanks very much for all the responses. Rode today. No cars which is nice and pass looks to be in good condition 

I'm planning a ride over the pass in a few week's time, weekday so I expect it will be closed - just to clarify, if it's closed are bicycles also not allowed up?

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

@ChrisF @CMDC just bumping this. Can cyclists use the road on days when it's closed or is it strictly no entry?

It is my understanding that it is CLOSED.

The idea being that road working equipment will be busy along the pass.  Health&Safety and all that stuff ....

Nothing stops you from asking the roadwork team "on the day" ..... depending what they are busy with, they may or may not allow to cycle there.

For context - IF they are working on the section just before the second U-bend ..... they may allow you to ride 80% .....

Edited by ChrisF