Garmin File For Cradle to Magaliesburg

love2fly

Hi there

Does anyone have the Garmin route file for the ride from the Cradle to Magaliesburg to send me?

I have ridden it once but would prefer to follow a route just until I'm sure I'm not going to verdwaal forever in the mielie fields....

The route we took turns up, left at the T after the Caves and then right across an open field, along a tar road and right somewhere after the river....

With the state of disrepair on the Cradle singletrack the Magalies route is a way better MTB option.

Hope someone can help?

Cheers

Hi Pieter, send me a DM and I will give you few options from Cradle to Magalies and back, I have various routes from 85km - 150km's. Or you can just download them from my Strava account.

Did you find what you needed ?

I have close to 80 routes on my Plot route , All are on the west rand , most

are MTB . DM if you like .  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 9:53 AM, HuckNorris said:

Hi There, Not sure why I can't DM. Can i please get some of those routes? New to MTB and don't know all the safe routes

Here's few options, have fun. Wimpy in Magalies is closed for now so stop at the garage or next to the Spar is also a very nice place.

I prefer to start from Riverstone as to avoid the 30km of tar if you start from Bidon or Neck and Deck.

8 hour mini Munga.gpx Riverstone Magalies 98km.gpx Riverstone Magalies 118km.gpx Riverstone Magalies 150km.gpx Bidon_Magalies_ride_.gpx Riverstone_Lodge_Magalies_gravel_ride.gpx

On 3/17/2024 at 9:53 AM, HuckNorris said:

I got more than I needed. So far there is some variation about 20km from Bidon where the route I'd ridden goes straight down some singletrack whereas the route from Pieterlab turns left and around some veg growing tunnels. It's really nice to see what rides we have out there and how many people ride them. 😎

3 hours ago, Dobri said:

Here's few options, have fun. Wimpy in Magalies is closed for now so stop at the garage or next to the Spar is also a very nice place.

I prefer to start from Riverstone as to avoid the 30km of tar if you start from Bidon or Neck and Deck.

8 hour mini Munga.gpx 141.39 kB · 0 downloads Riverstone Magalies 98km.gpx 140.7 kB · 1 download Riverstone Magalies 118km.gpx 165.2 kB · 0 downloads Riverstone Magalies 150km.gpx 204.98 kB · 1 download Bidon_Magalies_ride_.gpx 1.15 MB · 0 downloads Riverstone_Lodge_Magalies_gravel_ride.gpx 1.22 MB · 0 downloads

Hope to get strong enough to be able Todo the full distance in about 4 weeks....else I'll have to sleep in Magaliesburg! 😁

Edited by love2fly

3 hours ago, Dobri said:

8 hour mini Munga.gpx 141.39 kB · 0 downloads Riverstone Magalies 98km.gpx 140.7 kB · 1 download Riverstone Magalies 118km.gpx 165.2 kB · 0 downloads Riverstone Magalies 150km.gpx 204.98 kB · 1 download Bidon_Magalies_ride_.gpx 1.15 MB · 0 downloads Riverstone_Lodge_Magalies_gravel_ride.gpx 1.22 MB · 1 download

👍👍 What route/direction do you take from Riverstone to reduce the tar?

Sorry I'd have to copy and paste your file to open and am on my mobile.

Out of Riverstone turn left and after 100m turn right onto the jeep track past the few houses, ride next to the N14 for +-2km and turn right onto the gravel road, most stunning views of the Cradle from there, then use the gpx file to follow the route. Hard start but good gravel roads. Going out about 2km of tar, coming back about 7km depending how you come back. Excluding the concrete section at Magalies. Most of the N14 section has a wide gravel side. 

20 hours ago, Dobri said:

8 hour mini Munga.gpx 141.39 kB · 0 downloads Riverstone Magalies 98km.gpx 140.7 kB · 2 downloads Riverstone Magalies 118km.gpx 165.2 kB · 0 downloads Riverstone Magalies 150km.gpx 204.98 kB · 3 downloads Bidon_Magalies_ride_.gpx 1.15 MB · 0 downloads Riverstone_Lodge_Magalies_gravel_ride.gpx 1.22 MB · 4 downloads

They are busy rebuilding Wimpy now, should be finished by mid/end April, and then we wait for the next truck accident...Always sit at the back of Wimpy....

There is also the Little Roadhouse just over the road and railway line from the Wimpy where you can sit down and eat. Burgers, pizzas, chips etc,

Edited by Mojoman

4 hours ago, Dobri said:

Out of Riverstone turn left and after 100m turn right onto the jeep track past the few houses, ride next to the N14 for +-2km and turn right onto the gravel road, most stunning views of the Cradle from there, then use the gpx file to follow the route. Hard start but good gravel roads. Going out about 2km of tar, coming back about 7km depending how you come back. Excluding the concrete section at Magalies. Most of the N14 section has a wide gravel side. 

Awesome. Managed 35km from Bidon before turning around....one bite at a time.

1 hour ago, Mojoman said:

They are busy rebuilding Wimpy now, should be finished by mid/end April, and then we wait for the next truck accident...Always sit at the back of Wimpy....

There is also the Little Roadhouse just over the road and railway line from the Wimpy where you can sit down and eat. Burgers, pizzas, chips etc,

By the time I'm fit enough to make it there and back the Wimpy will have been hit again. The missus and I got married at Wicker Country Lodge about 27 years ago....it used to be just outside the far side of Magalies on the RHS, I told her I'd take a tent and overnight on the ruins and ride back the next day - it was demolished, maybe due to the fact that we had a huge party....🤣