Highest carbs / 100 gram or serving products that don’t cost the earth

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

You could. and many have.

uh mean you can also just get ingredient list for coke and start a zillion dollar drink company.

Maurten have 5 ingredients, can;t be that hard to replicate in your kitchen, go for it!

same with rehydrate

(italics was to show that while it seems simple, getting it right is difficult)

I think your being a bit dramatic here 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Kom said:

Giving these a try leading up to use at Gallows next Saturday.

Im mostly excited about less packaging waste accumulation in my bibs/pockets etc

IMG_5089.jpeg

do you need to wash it down with water? are you also going to use their fuel in scoops in a bottle?

10 hours ago, reteid said:

do you need to wash it down with water? are you also going to use their fuel in scoops in a bottle?

I use refuel for drink, wouldn’t change this.

So far the gels are not needing any “washing down”, they’re not thick as some gels like GU.

i also plan in at least 2-3 solid eats, like bars, to alternate macros.

On 5/2/2024 at 8:56 AM, DJuice said:

My mother-in-law makes the date balls for us, packed in ice cream tubs.😀

Between myself and the boys, it is a race to the bottom.

As mentioned, when you create a spreadsheet with costs / carbs, it is hard to beat date balls. If one buys dates from the caking section in checkers and adds powdered almonds and coconut, one ends up with a lot of umphh at really low cost

On 5/2/2024 at 9:21 AM, W@nted said:

Thanks for this link. Tried it this morning. Started with 70g/h and chucked all the sugar for an hour and half effort into my bidon. Added one hydration tablet for some salt and flavour. Tasted pretty good and worked well. No stomach issues and did not feel hungry at all afterwards. Definitely taking this method further!

I am a huge fan of trying and testing your solutions, I am trying it the whole time, but this dude is essentially making syrup. The wife makes different syrups for her baking in this way. Google "syrup recipes" and one will find how to make syrup for different purposes with different flavours etc.

One could just purchase one of these "energy gels" and have a sip every 30minutes. It will last a few rides:

https://www.takealot.com/illovo-golden-syrup-squeeze-500g-x-2/PLID91126553?gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxeyxBhC7ARIsAC7dS3_0XWHLNRpUSL2VlhF28CpTqDaPRqtPf7ym8lMNA7eU-rx3lfOAiqgaAgX0EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Screenshot2024-05-09at08_09_47.png.659f7d016e1001c75628ad0fe5446b8a.png

Edited by Baracuda

1 hour ago, Baracuda said:

I am a huge fan of trying and testing your solutions, I am trying it the whole time, but this dude is essentially making syrup. The wife makes different syrups for her baking in this way. Google "syrup recipes" and one will find how to make syrup for different purposes with different flavours etc.

One could just purchase one of these "energy gels" and have a sip every 30minutes. It will last a few rides:

https://www.takealot.com/illovo-golden-syrup-squeeze-500g-x-2/PLID91126553?gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxeyxBhC7ARIsAC7dS3_0XWHLNRpUSL2VlhF28CpTqDaPRqtPf7ym8lMNA7eU-rx3lfOAiqgaAgX0EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I would fall of my bike if an oke takes out a stroop botteltjie mid pack!
That "Golden Sweetness" is already triggering my gag reflex... 🤣

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

I would fall of my bike if an oke takes out a stroop botteltjie mid pack!
That "Golden Sweetness" is already triggering my gag reflex... 🤣

My response as well. That is why I thought "hang on, this dude is just making syrup". It must be hellava sticky. Nothing like going down the Swartberg Pass with a bottle of stroop in your back pocket - what could go wrong?

Edited by Baracuda

3 hours ago, Baracuda said:

reminds me of this.

Commenting on a few points made above.

The amount of carbs taken in per hour seems to keep increasing.

I used to use drinks that said not to use more than X grams per 500/750ml bottle. This was usually around 40g.

On this amount, I would eat everything that wasn't nailed down after a 2+ hour hard ride on a weekend.

I tried the newer idea of up to 100g of carbs/hour. I managed to train my gut to around 90 to 100g per hour for just under 3 hour rides. What i did notice is that I was not hungry the rest of the day, as the carbs my body wasn't able to process were already in my gut, so carb replenishment started right after my ride.

The 100g of carbs was made up of about 80g/500ml water and one gel an hour(need caffeine from somewhere).

It doesn't take long for your gut to require retraining. 5 weeks without longer rides, and 80g makes me naar.