New Bike Rack

Hello fellow cyclists.

New to the the mtb scene and would like to buy a rack for my new trail bike as I cant cycle from home.

Prices are steep, but looking at the Holdfast 2 Bike Platform for the tow hitch as I don't require tilt etc.

Any reviews on this rack or better options. Thule is great, but pricing is a tough ask considering I just purchased a new bike too.

Thanks, Cam.

1 hour ago, CameronMuller said:

Hello fellow cyclists.

New to the the mtb scene and would like to buy a rack for my new trail bike as I cant cycle from home.

Prices are steep, but looking at the Holdfast 2 Bike Platform for the tow hitch as I don't require tilt etc.

Any reviews on this rack or better options. Thule is great, but pricing is a tough ask considering I just purchased a new bike too.

Thanks, Cam.

How many bikes will you be transporting ?

For 2 bikes rather get the three bike rack.

Tilt function is VERY handy on all vehicles, except those with side swing doors. 

Yes, Thule comes at a premium.  I would rather buy a secondhand Thule ....

I bought the new Holdfast 3 bike platform rack with tilt function about 3 weeks ago. Their new range, like the new Thule range has improved spacing between bikes. I can carry 3 enduro mtbs on the new Holdfast and the bikes don't touch at all. Paid just over 9k for the rack and am extremely impressed with it. For sure Thule is the benchmark, but for the amount of times a year I use a rack, I couldn't justify the price. Take a look at Holdfast's new range. 

Been there done that with Holdfast. 
Now a happy Thule user. Buy ONCE to (ultimately) save money. 

I'd rather pay 10k for a used thule than a new buzzrack 

I went through this in 2017 and ultimately the money spent on the thule was worth it multiple times over 

If I am not mistaken Holdfast used to be the importer/distributor for Thule kit in SA back in the day. You hardly ever saw Thule stuff for sale anywhere, but loads of Holdfast in every nook and cranny.

Down here at the coast you used to buy a Holdfast rack, a few years later you replaced it because it has rusted to questionable levels and so it went.

Then, the lore goes, the Swedes discovered that the Holdfast racks (roof and bike) looked remarkably similar to the Swedish stuff. Emphasis on look. The scale says the Holdfast stuff is a little too fond of Mickey Dees.

Does the Holdfast stuff do the job: yes. Is it good: it's getter better, is, I think, the diplomatic answer.

My money goes to Thule. Their range is massive and cheaper Thule gear does exist. And lots of used racks worth looking at as well. Bear in mind that older racks – from any company – had some really strange and cumbersome mount-to-the-towball methods.

+1 for Thule

I tried 2 other budget options and then got the VeloCompact 3. My only regret was not doing that first as I wasted a lot of money to get to that point.