[Event] Honeycomb GT100 Miler

Event Name: Honeycomb GT100 Miler
When: 27/07/2024
Where: Café du Cirque, Gauteng
Category: Gravel

The name says it all “GRAVEL TRAVEL” - it’s fast, fairly flat and gives the gravel bike a true feel for its use. 

Date: 27 July 2024

Venue: Cafe du Cirque, Randvaal (start & finish)

We have 2 exciting distances to choose from the GT100 (160 km) and the GT60 (60 km):

The GT100 offers a 160 km gravel race with a total of R100,000 in cash prizes for the top male and female Elite podium finishers, along with additional cash prizes available for winners in all categories.

ELITE Ladies and Mens Prize Pool:

1st - R25,000

2nd - R12,500

3rd - R7,500

4th - R3,000

5th - R2,000

Route Description:

The 100-mile (160 km) route with a 950m elevation, has a reputation of being one of the rougher gravel races in Gauteng. Cyclists will depart from Cafe du Cirque through Daleside on fast gravel roads towards Three Rivers. Continuing towards the Vaal Dam, riders will enjoy a lengthy descent, often aided by a tailwind. The journey then loops back towards the South of Johannesburg, passing through farm roads and jeep tracks. With about 100 km left, starting too eagerly could make the journey back an uphill struggle. The return leg is mainly against a headwind, with a slight uphill gradient for approximately 20 km before transitioning into a pleasant downhill section. The route then meanders through farms, winding jeep tracks, and occasional tarred roads, providing an enjoyable experience. Approaching the final stretch, cyclists will traverse fast gravel roads towards Klipriver before turning back down to Cafe du Cirque for a nice flat run to the finish.

The 70 Miler (110km)

This is the 110km route that will start from Cafe du cirque. Riders will head out to the exciting Daleside on the fast gravel heading towards 3 rivers. The ride will head towards the well-known Vaal Dam that is on a long but adventurous descent. The route then takes a turn and heads back towards the South of JHB through several farm roads and jeep tracks. Water points provided through out the route.  

The 60 km route has a 350m elevation. This race is fast-paced and competitive. Experience the picturesque rolling landscape with minimal technical riding. Relax, admire the scenery, and savour the journey. A waterpoint is available at 30km to keep you hydrated and energized throughout the race.

The routes will be clearly marked with signage for easy navigation, along with self-navigation options. Riders will also receive a GPX file to download during the week of the race.

We will have the following at the Race Village:

• Race Live Stream on big screens
  • Coffee & Food Stalls
  • Beer tent
  • Fully stocked restaurant
  • Recovery Activations
  • Music and MC
  • Fun area for the kids

Bring the whole family for an enjoyable & fun day out! They can watch the race live on the big screens at the Race Village - who knows, they might even spot you on the live feed!!

What are you waiting for? Enter now!

Go to Event Page.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a great event.

Pls however amend your wording as it’s confusing. You mention 2 distances, then go on to mention 3 “…We have 2 exciting distances to choose from the GT100 (160 km) and the GT60 (60 km)…” 

and 

“… The 100-mile (160 km) route …”

”… the 70 miler (110km) …”

”… the 60km route…”

So how many are there actually? Thank you!

48 minutes ago, madporra said:

Sounds like a great event.

Pls however amend your wording as it’s confusing. You mention 2 distances, then go on to mention 3 “…We have 2 exciting distances to choose from the GT100 (160 km) and the GT60 (60 km)…” 

and 

“… The 100-mile (160 km) route …”

”… the 70 miler (110km) …”

”… the 60km route…”

So how many are there actually? Thank you!

When entering, you have three options:

Two imperial distances (100-miler and 70-miler) and one metric distance (60-kays).

They added the 70-miler after initially launching the two distances (used in 2023).