Which travel case to buy for MTB

Hi all,

Was hoping people could share their thoughts on what the best mtb travel case is. I have some trips planned in the future that will require air travel so I am looking to purchase a travel bag/case. I don’t want to use a reused bike box, tried this before and they are just a bit too cumbersome. 

For context I have an Epic Evo is size XL so the bag/case needs to be able to hold a longer wheel base. So far I am leaning towards either an EVOC Pro or Thule round trip. 

I have the Evoc Pro. It comes with the base mounting, which is great. It’s adjustable for different length bikes, and all axel types. Makes packing and unpacking easy, and also ensure the bike is stable and secure in the bag.

I use mine to fly my bike between Canada and SA, which requires 1 to 2 connections in each direction, and there has not been any damage to my bike

I have travelled with EVOC Pro and had no issues.

Having said so, if I was to buy something I would prefer a hard case like the Scicon Aerotech Evolution Hardcase

Any hard case plus mtb is going to push you over the 23kg limit which is often included in your ticket. If you were traveling with a road bike it might make sense. But bike, helmet, shoes and some spares and you are already at about 16kgs which leaves +-7kgs for the bag.

I’ve been using an EVOC bag for a long time and it’s withstood a lot of abuse. Bikes have always come through unscathed. I do find it a squeeze on my Rocky Mountain Element but this is on the original EVOC case and remedied by removing the derailleur (SRAM AXS FTW). As others have mentioned the pro is a lot longer, likely to fit with derailleur on. 

5 hours ago, michaelbiker said:

Any hard case plus mtb is going to push you over the 23kg limit which is often included in your

^^

With a MTB, weight is your main consideration unless you feel like endless faff with the oversized and overweight baggage departments wherever you travel. For trail and enduro bikes even the Evoc and Thule options can push you over the limit.

7 hours ago, Ozzie NL said:

I have travelled with EVOC Pro and had no issues.

Having said so, if I was to buy something I would prefer a hard case like the Scicon Aerotech Evolution Hardcase

You wont be able to fit MTB wheels in this case, it is only suitable for road, triathlon and cyclocross wheels (skinny tyres) and then you have to fully deflate the tyres to get them in.  So not ideal if you run tubeless with sealant possibly leaking.  Once the wheels are in, I have to pump mine slightly to keep the seal.

20 hours ago, shaper said:

You wont be able to fit MTB wheels in this case, it is only suitable for road, triathlon and cyclocross wheels (skinny tyres) and then you have to fully deflate the tyres to get them in.  So not ideal if you run tubeless with sealant possibly leaking.  Once the wheels are in, I have to pump mine slightly to keep the seal.

I have managed to fit MTB wheels in the EVOC Pro without deflating them. Are you not thinking of the non-Pro version?

I bought a MTB box from Bikeboxcompany. I flew my road bike, MTB and gravel bike in it, so far very happy with it for the price

45 minutes ago, Cardio Goth said:

I have managed to fit MTB wheels in the EVOC Pro without deflating them. Are you not thinking of the non-Pro version?

I was referring the Scicon

Just now, shaper said:

I was referring the Scicon

Right you are, in that case..

On 5/23/2024 at 3:28 PM, shaper said:

Incorrect, there is a 29' version. You do have to let some air out of the tires (as always when you fly but def not completely deflated)