Bib Shorts going Transparent after relatively little use

JBK

On 6/10/2024 at 2:01 PM, JBK said:

I know this has come up every now and again but with no real answers, solutions or constructive feedback. Generally people are quick to say that Bib shorts are not meant to live forever, get over it and throw them out. But when you are forking out R5k for Assos shorts and they go see through after only a year, this is surely not on. 

I noticed a mention of this today on another forum topic and did not want to hijack that thread to discuss this matter and hence have started a new thread. Kindly refrain from same comments as I've had before and no silly retorts from people to whom this does not happen as it seems to only happen to some people and not others. 

I have had this now with every brand that I have tried including Castelli (all styles) and Assos (Mille GTS and Equipe RS) and everyone thinks i'm crazy as this seems to. In some instances this happens within 3 months of wearing a bib (max) once per week.

We have changed washing powder to one with no enzymes as I read that enzymes in washing powder could destroy the lycra when it nukes the dirty stuff. And we put the bibs into a "washing bag" that go into the machine on a cool and short "hand wash cycle". We dry them flat and out of the sun but both my and my wife's Assos go transparent, albeit with our current washing regimen, in less than 18 months of being used on rotation maximum of once per week. This is crazy because some people have Assos bibs that are 5 years old and still as good as new. 

I have also noticed, however, within our cycling groups, that this has started happening to others and also in relatively short periods of time since the bibs were new. Perhaps the manufacturers are making the fabrics "cooler" and "lighter" and hence less durable ? 

Had the same issue, mostly to do with sizing as a bib that is maybe just a size small still “feels” right as it sits snug but is actually stretching beyond its intended design and its longevity is then compromised and the bibs start to threadbare, it may be worth looking at sizing up one size to where it still fits tight but the fabric is not at its elastic limit from the get go.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sizing up increases discomfort because the chamois then moves around causing chafe. 

for the bib to be too small the seams would be the first point of failure because that area has far less elasticity and the seams are not failing but the centre of the panel where strain is highest. The material is not yielding at this point

Edited by DieselnDust

17 hours ago, NicoSmit said:

I had the same issue with Ciovita bibs they were between a year and   6months old contact Ciovita and send them the photos of the bibs they replaced 4 of them that was less than a year old with no problem

20240109_072526.jpg

This exactly happened with Ciovita and an Assos pair of mine 

Edited by eala