Endurance lights rental for Trans Baviaans

Dirk93

Hi All

I am taking a shot to see whether there is anyone in the Cape Winelands/Durbanville/Paarl region who would be willing to rent our endurance lights for the Trans Baviaans race on 17 August this year. I had looked into the options, which is massively expensive and I am not sure if I will use them again. 

Have a good day.

I don't know what your target time is but if you are not planning to ride through the night then look at Marvel lights from CWC. I bought a 900 lum light 3 years ago from them and will be doing a 4th TB with it. Was R 399 then not sure what it is now

Edited by wessie12
Edit

1 hour ago, wessie12 said:

Hi, thanks so much for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. My concern is that the Rules somewhere states that you need to have an Extra Battery pack for you light? You reckon it would be fine if I just buy two lights. I have a pretty good 1200lumen one and can then perhaps look at your suggestion as a backup?

Edited by Dirk93

If you have x 2 lights use the one on your bike and charge the other with a powerbank inside your backpack as you cycle, swap out as they go flat. Lights should be 900 lumens or brighter.

Edited by andreas17777

Thanks Andreas, good advice.

I will then opt for a second 900-lumen light.

I know they recommend the extreme lights package, but the asking price is a bit much, especially if not planning on doing night races on the regular. 

I am of the opinion that too much is made of lighting on the TB. I have completed 8, hence I think I speak from experience. Did my first 2 with a Led Lenser H7 headlight which pushes around 300 lumens.

Being a team event, you should theoretically never find yourself in the sticks solo. Team mates would always be at hand with lights to provide lumens in those places where you might require more lighting. The H7 has an insane battery life of close to 20 hours on a low setting.

The only section where you might want good lighting is the descent from Bergplaas. You are raving mad to speed down that mountain even in broad daylight. From the bottom towards Patensie it is good winding gravel roads. The last single track along the railway line is technical in some places, BUT you do not carry the speed that warrant 1000 lumens. It is a narrow trail and winds along the railway line. The H7 or the cheap 900 lmn lights mentioned in this thread is sufficient.

More lumens, more battery capacity required. The latest generation LED technology packs serious lumens with low drain on your battery.

Takealot sells a FLUIR light with handlebar bracket for around R480. This is a 900 lumens unit with 4 brightness levels + strobe option. No additional battery packs. My son completed the 36ONE with 1 of these + 1 spare(not required).

Enjoy the TB 🤙

Thanks so much Mook. 

This will be my first proper endurance race so I am very much looking forward to this.

I agree. I have a Luna (Similar to Fluir) which provides plenty light on its own and might just opt for another as a spare. 

Of course, I understand that the recommendations are selling tactics. Just wanted to get some input from you folk who have been through this. 

Thanks a mil again.

The Fluir Elite 1000 lumen light is a super piece of cheap kit!

At sub R500 you’re getting a really, really decent light.

We have two and they work brilliantly. We use them on strobe mode for say 2 hours at a time about 6 times before I think about charging and then they’re not yet showing low charge. The power button is also a battery indicator. I just charge out of habit. 

(also have an Extreme Light Endurance but haven’t needed to use it yet as I haven’t done any overnight rides - however I do believe it’s an insanely good light and hence I asked for one for Christmas 😄)

Or just find a light that can run off USB while plugged in, A 10Ah power bank will set you back far less than a bike light battery, and can easily be strapped to a stem or stashed in a frame bag.