Wahoo Kickr Core and casette

Danivt

Hi All,

Please can you guide me. I have a kickr core, i used to use it with my silverback bike with a 9 speed casette, i upgraded my bike to a giant liv which now has a 12 speed casette. I want to find a casette i can fit onto my trainer, but i cannot find a sram eagle sx 12 spd 11x50 casette, which is on my bike now... another option is to get the zwift cog (it's not available in SA so i need to find someone who is traveling to EU (i have someone there now)) but... there is a chance that it might not work without the zwift membership. So before i take on the cost, i wanted to get advice from the experts here. 

Can i use one of the other sram casettes? (like the nx) 

Where can i find the sx if i cannot use the nx?

Switching from a quick release to a thru axle will this cause problems?

Or should i just find a really cheap bike i can put onto the trainer and remove all other issues, and any suggestions (please note i am short so it will need to be a very small bike? 

Thanks all

You can use any 12 speed HG cassette on the Kickr with no worries (shameless plug: I have one listed in the classifieds that I used with my MTB for a while). The Zwift cog and click will work, but you will need to swap the parts off the freehub body that the cog is installed to in order to make that work on a Kickr. (Strangely enough I have a cog and click I am considering selling). Either way you do not have to buy a new bike to make your setup work

Edited by thebob

My vote is cheap bike for trainer - then you don’t have to worry about taking wheels off etc and I think that’s what most people do. It can literally be any bike on a trainer. 

few things:

1: as Robyn said, cheap old bike on the trainer. That way you are doing your training on cheap components that will last forever on a trainer. It saves your fun bike for just that, fun...

2: As thebob said, any HG will work. You can get from shimano or sunrace easily, weight is not an issue on the trainer. I would always go for the smallest hub possible. For reference I run a road 11 speed cassette on my XT 11 speed drivetrain on my trainer bike(ht mtb). All virtual training is mostly road based(zwift, mywoosh, rouvy etc.) so road gearing is a bonus.