Do these support Shimano or strictly look cleats

Em_Jay

Morning everyone 

I would like to have your thoughts on whether these kind of pedals use Shimano cleats or I would need to find Look specific cleats. A bit of background, I used to ride a road bike with mtb cleats (PD M505) and these were good. Will be getting a new bike soon and I can't use parts of the old bike as it was completely wrecked. Found spare look 247 pedals that I had received from an awesome chap...

If these do use Look specific cleats, would it be wiser to upgrade or change to a Shimano specific pedal as it seems like look cleats are hard to find 👀

Thanks 

20240904_063857.jpg

20240904_063842.jpg

20240904_063833.jpg

20240904_063818.jpg

Specifically, those use the older Look Delta cleats, which I don't think are compatible with the newer Look Keo cleats.

A few other companies made cleats compatible with them, like Ryder or Exus as mentioned above. But they seem a bit scarce these days.

https://www.decathlon.co.za/p/242-89973-delta-compatible-cleats.html?srsltid=AfmBOoq-ouYcuXuj-Eb0fZbgFY15nLBoguia1QcJbQ0y7y3wg61Ov6EA

Edited by HdB

17 minutes ago, Em_Jay said:

Morning everyone 

I would like to have your thoughts on whether these kind of pedals use Shimano cleats or I would need to find Look specific cleats. A bit of background, I used to ride a road bike with mtb cleats (PD M505) and these were good. Will be getting a new bike soon and I can't use parts of the old bike as it was completely wrecked. Found spare look 247 pedals that I had received from an awesome chap...

If these do use Look specific cleats, would it be wiser to upgrade or change to a Shimano specific pedal as it seems like look cleats are hard to find 👀

Thanks 

20240904_063857.jpg

20240904_063842.jpg

20240904_063833.jpg

20240904_063818.jpg

I'd spend the money and change to Shimano compatible pedals. You can pick them up on the Hub for very good prices. Ryder and Wellgo both support Shimano cleats, should you want to go cheap-cheap. Shimano pedals are generally well constructed and they are serviceable.

Look, Time, Speedplay, etc. all have proprietary cleat models.

On 9/4/2024 at 9:23 AM, HdB said:

Specifically, those use the older Look Delta cleats, which I don't think are compatible with the newer Look Keo cleats.

A few other companies made cleats compatible with them, like Ryder or Exus as mentioned above. But they seem a bit scarce these days.

https://www.decathlon.co.za/p/242-89973-delta-compatible-cleats.html?srsltid=AfmBOoq-ouYcuXuj-Eb0fZbgFY15nLBoguia1QcJbQ0y7y3wg61Ov6EA

Thank you for the heads up. I did try to look for compatible cleats and it's proving to be difficult to find them. Someone did mention that it would be wiser to opt for Shimano pedals as those are relatively easier to access.

On 9/4/2024 at 9:25 AM, Mook said:

I'd spend the money and change to Shimano compatible pedals. You can pick them up on the Hub for very good prices. Ryder and Wellgo both support Shimano cleats, should you want to go cheap-cheap. Shimano pedals are generally well constructed and they are serviceable.

Look, Time, Speedplay, etc. all have proprietary cleat models.

Awesome suggestion mate, will definitely consider it as it would be much easier to find replacement cleats😁

the main problem with those old Look pedals is the age.

Newer Look pedals have easily accessible cleats too. The Look Keo family of pedals has more out of brand compatible options than Shimano since most of those company's license Looks binding system patents, including Shimano

The "newer" Look cleats are cheap as chips if you go Ryder, I think I last paid R199 for a set at CL.

Even Asioma pedals use Look cleats.