SR Suntour XCT 30 wear and tear

Cam1984

So I recently purchased a Trek with a SR Suntour XCT 30 coil spring fork.

I know this is a budget fork so I know I can’t expect it to stand up to the more expensive ones but I have noticed that after roughly 3 months of use (about 300kms) the fork has started to make a “knocking” sound which I can feel through the handle bars as I ride like there is 1-2mm of play before the coil spring stars to absorb the load. 

I mainly ride on dirt roads through farm lands and occasionally very basic trails so nothing that it should not be able to handle.

So what I want to find out from others who are more experienced with suspension forks, is this a normal occurrence with these forks or is this something that shouldn’t be happening and suggest I take it in to get sorted under warranty? 

Cheers.

Pretty sure that fork does not have any damper in it, and from last experience with that kind of fork which came on a cheap bike when I just started cycling again, it made that clunking right from new, when the fork goes to full extension, especially if you pulled up on the bars quickly, it would clunk, dont think there is anything you can do about it

Not much you can do for those aside from either replacing with an air fork, a rigid fork, or learning to pull it apart and grease it up on a regular basis. If it's got a preload adjuster you may be able to tune the play out.

The only things they do reliably are rattle and hold the front wheel on.