Help needed finding out more about HANSOM

countsabel

As far as I know, Biopace tried to eliminate the dead spot in the pedalling stroke, while Q-rings accentuate the power/sweet spot, a more successful quest...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotti custom built a frame for my brother-in-law who is over seven foot... In retrospect' date=' it must have been one of the last frames he built... I reckon I can get my mitts on a collectors piece, especially seeing as my brother-in-law is now a pirate...
[/quote']

I wont ask about your brother in law..

but what you gonna do with it? ride with one leg through the frame triangle? or mount it with the rest of the collection?

It sounds like it's even a bit too big for me...

Gotti custom built a frame for my brother-in-law who is over seven foot... In retrospect' date=' it must have been one of the last frames he built... I reckon I can get my mitts on a collectors piece, especially seeing as my brother-in-law is now a pirate...

[/quote']

I wont ask about your brother in law..

but what you gonna do with it? ride with one leg through the frame triangle? or mount it with the rest of the collection?

It sounds like it's even a bit too big for me...

Damn, that thing would be like 10 or 12 sizes too big for me, ya, maybe mount it on the wall somewhere...

Gotti was one of a handful of Reynolds-certified brazers/welders in SA (I think Du Toit and Lang might have been others).

As far as I know' date=' Biopace tried to eliminate the dead spot in the pedalling stroke, while Q-rings accentuate the power/sweet spot, a more successful quest...
[/quote']

And the difference is?

As far as I know' date=' Biopace tried to eliminate the dead spot in the pedalling stroke, while Q-rings accentuate the power/sweet spot, a more successful quest...
[/quote']

And the difference is?

Better marketing....

Gotti was one of a handful of Reynolds-certified brazers/welders in SA (I think Du Toit and Lang might have been others).

I don't want to spoil the party, but that doesn't say much. Brazing 531 tubing isn't very difficult since 531 steel was designed specifically for factory brazers and had a high tolerance for overheating, something that an unskilled brazer often did.

The idea was to not heat the steel more than a dull red, just about the melting point of the brazing metal. However, the CroMo was so forgiving that they let just about anybody loose on the brazing torch.  Most overheating failures came from the downtube area where the shifter bosses were brazed on. That's an area where the steel was thinner than at the ends and overheating annealed the metal, causing weaknesses which showed up later in the frame's life.

The fancier Reynolds tubesets, 851 (?) required silver solder, which melts at a lower temperature so that the steel needn't glow red.

how would I know if it is a track frame or a road frame?

You could look at the dropouts as someone suggested, but I can see that is a road frame. There is a RD lug on the right rear dropout and you've installed brakes. Track bikes have neither gears nor brakes.

May I suggest you install a front brake rather than a rear brake? Front brakes are so much more effective than rear ones. On a city fixie, your legs are the rear brake.

Oh by the way. I think Gotty Hanson also had the rights to built Peugeot frames for the SA market.

Not as far as I know. I base my doubt on the following. I had a ZA Peugeot in my days and the frame cracked at the BB. I phoned the agent at the time and I remember that it was Western Flyer. I sent my cracked frame in and spoke to a workshop manager who told me it couldn't be repaired, they'll just send me another frame. From memory, I'm sure I spoke to someone at the factory and it was Western Flyer. Peugeot were made here under license from Peugeot but why whom?

I believe they were indeed made by Gotty.  In one of the musty old books I have about 70s bike builders - please don't  ask me to dig it out, kills me with allergies.  My 80s Peugeot Mirage had a Gotty sticker on the BB - not a proper decal though.  Perhaps Gotty sold the rights to WF and they started importing Peugeots?

Originally posted by Mudee

Originally posted by Johan Bornman

Originally posted by Sean Badenhorst

As
far as I know, Biopace tried to eliminate the dead spot in the
pedalling stroke, while Q-rings accentuate the power/sweet spot, a more
successful quest...

And the difference is?

Better marketing....

And about 15 years... I wouldn't know Johan, I don't ride Q-rings, but the idea just sounds more viable than the Biopace concept. Waiting for someone to win a major race internationally (or even locally) with them before paying them any attention. A Hubber (Rhodent) is doing a study on Q-rings and their effectiveness (see his post earlier today) or lack of effectiveness. Looking forward to seeing his findings.

My first road bike (1987) was a Peugeot Le Mans which, structurally, looked almost identical to the Hansom pictured on this thread - different paint job and decals obviously... Bought it at Dave Wiseman Cycles. Salesman was some dodgy student called Bruce Reyneke who I believe has somehow become the Mayor of Pretoria... Just can't find good leadership these days. Big%20smile

yeah - i am in the process of fixing much of the errors on the bike - like teh bar's being the wrong way around ... but for R450 - I wasn't complaining.

the flip flop gears are also totally wrong ratio wise ...

installing the front brake today as well as hopefully getting a new crank.

I believe they were indeed made by Gotty.  In one of the musty old books I have about 70s bike builders - please don't  ask me to dig it out' date=' kills me with allergies.  My 80s Peugeot Mirage had a Gotty sticker on the BB - not a proper decal though.  Perhaps Gotty sold the rights to WF and they started importing Peugeots?[/quote']

OK, that confirms it for me then. Gotty made Peugeots. I suppose WF was just a distributor.

I still have the Peugeot frame that I swapped, albeit with a new unicrown fork. The original got culled in one of my wilder moments with a hacksaw when I sawed it off too short to fit the new frame.

I remember that the hottest Peugeot of its day was the Peugeot Rapport.

Actually, I recall the Peugeot series being, from cheapest:

Rapport

Le Mans

Mirage

Classique

But I may be wrong. It was a long time ago!