Energade Tri-Series

Jason

I'm still thinking if I should do this.

It's the weekend after the 94.7 at Vanderbijl Park. My swimming sucks, my running really sucks and 20km's sounds like a moer of a long way to cycle Big%20smile.

To all those out there that are posers Wink... I mean tri-athletes, how and what would you suggest and what should I expect? I just wanna do this for fun. 600m is far to swim. I can handle the 20km ride and 5km run... I worry about the swimming.

Anyone else doing this?

the best is to take it very easy, if you get stuck just go on breaststroke, then on backstroke. If you really can't go on, there are lifesavers , just raise your arm. I think you may hang on to the canoe  but not use it to move. or there might be an rule if you get assitance your out of the race. check www.energadetriseries.co.za There are people who finish way over two hours. And rememebr to take a bright coloured swimcap. Blue, black and other dark colours are out.

I'm doing the Cape Town event, but just the cycling leg in the mixed teams category...

Got a super quick swimmer and a strong runner in my team so it should be fun!

Jason, why don't you find yourself a swimmer and a runner and enter as a team...?

pererace70, I wanna do the whole thing myself. I was thinking of that but it's more of a challenge to do all the legs yourself. I can swim... but 600m's?

Jason, don't stress, the swim will go swimmingly! You might swallow some water if you're not an accomplished swimmer but it isn't that bad. As a strong cyclist, especially coming out of the water well off the pace, there are going to be droves of wheelsuckers that will sit your wheel and not come through to help. I did Midmar last year and had 20 to 30 blokes sit me for the entire bike and do nothing!!! But it didn't bother me too much cos everytime one came through, I recovered quickly and went back to the front. Then there is the run. Basically here you just hang on for a finish, but if you want to run it's cool. The slightest down hill hurts like hell! Your quads will beg for mercy... Other than that they are really great events. I'm dead keen to do maybe 2 this year...

Its all about baby steps Wink Brake it up into smaller parts.. 100m then another and another.  Don't think of it as 600m.

Its all about baby steps Wink Brake it up into smaller parts.. 100m then another and another.  Don't think of it as 600m.
Baby steps you say... LOL 100m's is even to far Confused... I'll start with 1m, 2m, 3m... The thing is... when you swim at home or at a gym... you get tired and then stand... In the Vaal... how deep is the water we swim in? Can I stand? I doubt it, so that's what's getting to me. I'll be the first in history to doggy paddle 600m's in a time of 3 hours Embarrassed.

Does anyone know the rules regarding tri-bars for non-pro entrants?

I heard something regarding the length of the bars?

Check the red...

6. BICYCLES AND TRANSITION

6.1. NO HELMET, NO RIDE. Swim caps and helmets must be produced for inspection at bike check in. Only approved hard shell helmets will be permitted.
6.2. THIS IS A DRAFT LEGAL RACE. All bar ends must be properly plugged.
6.3. HANDLEBARS. Only traditional drop handlebars are permitted. Clip-ons will be permitted provided they do not extend more that 15cm beyond the front wheel axle, and they are not longer than the brake levers' foremost loine. Straight forward clip ons must be bridged and must not carry forward facing brake levers. No forward facing bar or gear shifters are allowed on the end of the clip-ons.
ILLEGAL EQUIPMENT. Glass containers, headphones and headsets are not permitted.
6.5 Only wheels of spoke construction will be permitted. NO DISC WHEELS OR WHEEL COVERS WILL BE PERMITTED.
6.6. Helmets must be clipped on tightly and correctly before taking bike from bike rack. The helmet must be worn during the full duration of the cycle leg and only be clipped off after racking the bike. DO NOT un-clip or remove your helmet on re-entry into the transition area before your bike is racked. You will be stopped to re-clip your helmet. Make sure your helmet is securely fitted. As a self-test, push your helmet from the front over your head. If it moves beyond your forehead then the helmet straps must be tightened accordingly. You will be stopped, if in the referee's opinion your helmet is not secure enough. (10 second time penalty will be applicable once the helmet is re-secured)
6.7. No cycling is permitted in the transition area.
Only competitors will be allowed in transition area.
Bike may only be removed from transition after announcement is made when all cyclists finished the cycle leg.

the last time i was in a pool ..must of been 3years ago..600m is a m$##$%rse swim if you havent trained for it...20km cycle should be the easy part...but again of the bike into the run.....mmmmmmm "bro" what comes to mind if you have not trained for it is " INJURY"INJURY"INJURIES" Sorry Jason dont mean to sound negative Geek "But" again if your doing it for fun...enjoy the ice cold waterLOL

I'm doing the Cape Town event' date=' but just the cycling leg in the mixed teams category...

[/quote']

pererace70 - When and where is this event?

Jason, last year my swim took me 34 minutes whilst the winner was out in 11min, yet I manged a 1H37m finish time. This was my first swim ever other than in a pool at home. The cycle and run not a problem. Mind you I think I drank the 2% drop in water level the water board complained about in Dec.