Tacx Fortius or i-Magic?

Willehond

Has anyone got any experience (not Google knowledge) of these different Tacx VR IDT models?

Is the Fortius worth the 50% premium just because it has a better brake?  I have ridden BMC fan's i-Magic and felt the hills were a bit easy, but I am not sure if the Fortius is that much beter (they claim you can simulate up to a 20% climb!).

Also, are there any other VR trainers I should be considering?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have the VR Tacx but the Tacx Flow power gel works great for me. I use Chasek DVD's to ride certain routes in SA or also the Chris Carmichael training (spinning) DVD's which are really good. If just rolling I watch race DVD's or something. I'm not sure if mine is upgradeble to the VR models, but I think the trainer you tested (BMC fan's) might have been incorrectly callibrated. Reason being that when I do level 7-9 climbs on my Taxc Flow I crap myself and it is definatley not easy at all. If the unit is correctly callibrated level 9 (which is the top level) should be equivalent to something like Vissershok which I find it is. I normally do only 1hr on this trainer as my legs start screaming for mercy on 45min already. Mine is callibrated on 0 exactly, took a while but got it right!

It also gives all the other goodies like wattage , HR, etc, etc. I think the first level up where you can customize to VR is the same except for the VR part of it which just means more cables....

Thanks Zombie.  Remember to pack yours when you fly!

I find trainers utterly boring and liked the interaction on BMC fan's i-Magic, and I just want to make sure I get the one that will motivate me most AND give me a workout.  I will have a look at the Flow.  The i-magic apparently only has a max 5% climb simulation due to it's limited brake system and that's not enough for me.

Has anyone got any experience (not Google knowledge) of these different Tacx VR IDT models?

Is the Fortius worth the 50% premium just because it has a better brake?  I have ridden BMC fan's i-Magic and felt the hills were a bit easy' date=' but I am not sure if the Fortius is that much beter (they claim you can simulate up to a 20% climb!).

Also, are there any other VR trainers I should be considering?
[/quote']

I seem to recall the Fortius is supposed to also have more accurate power readings.

Zombi might be correct!

Thanks to some generous hubberClap, i sorted my TAXC! and it was a great tool this winter in the garage (together with the TdF in the background).

It is a bit expensive, but hey i'm sure it will keep me busy for years to come! and made this years winter training worthwile (until i got flu and had to start all over again)

Willehond! Hang 5 before you buy. My buddy in Australia has an awesome indoor VR trainer and it can do really serious climbs (he trains Alpe Duez on it)and race simulations. Let me find out what he's got and if it is available in NDL which I'm sure it is.

By the way, Taxc factory is about 3 blocks away from the office where I'll be working from in NDL! Wonder if they sell directly to public smiley4.gif Zombie2008-08-27 02:12:28

I rode the iMagic for about 2 years or so.

A really great system and the telemetry is FANTASTIC!

The only reason I don't use one anymore is because the gym I trained at closed down, and I certainly am not going to spend that kind of cash on an IDT...

I have an Elite Crono Wireless which absolutely rocks.

Mate of mine has the Tacx Flow which he also rates highly.
DawieO2008-08-27 02:19:10

Willehond,

Go to Willie Engelbrecht. They have an Elite VR trainer all set up for you to test on a nice plasma and it is apperently better than the Tacx Fortius. A bit cheaper as well I think.

I use a Fortius (I think its a fortius as I do some 18% climbs on itDead) trainer a lot when I go to my coach.  It is really nice in that you have the option to steer (even crash) with it which takes much of the boredom out of riding on an idt.  The road feel is also reasonably realistic and you can letup a little going (just keep the pedals going with little force) down hills as the motor in the trainer keeps going.

There are a few different virtual routes you can ride and adjust their difficulty (harder or easier gradient hills).

So I'd say its a really nice trainer to use, but I haven't ridden the i-magic to compare.

Problem is I don't think the distributers have or will get in again this year, something about a fault with the power brake unit.

I've got a I-Magic and a friend has got the Fortius. The simulation on climbs is more or less the same. The Fortius is much more realistic though. If you want to use it for power training I suggest the Fortius as it is much more accurate. I would pay the premium for the Fortius.

i bought mine on the hub about 1 1/2 ago for R4000 (i think), with the help of another hubber i updated the software (which i havent got with the original sale) and whoila.. i've got a brand new training system - steerer and the worx!

i think new they go for about R10k here and thats without steerer (but please dont quote me)

Geez, big hash for IDT's!

I think I'll stick to the one I have and when in Europe I'll see if I can pick up a VR on sale somewhere smiley36.gif

These things are so outdated here, they propably go on 50% sale in Europe....or will when I get there! smiley7.gif

I use a Fortius (I think its a fortius as I do some 18% climbs on itDead) trainer a lot when I go to my coach.  It is really nice in that you have the option to steer (even crash) with it which takes much of the boredom out of riding on an idt.  The road feel is also reasonably realistic and you can letup a little going (just keep the pedals going with little force) down hills as the motor in the trainer keeps going.

There are a few different virtual routes you can ride and adjust their difficulty (harder or easier gradient hills).

So I'd say its a really nice trainer to use' date=' but I haven't ridden the i-magic to compare.

Problem is I don't think the distributers have or will get in again this year, something about a fault with the power brake unit.
[/quote']

The brake unit used to be a problem back in 2005/6, but they seemed to have sorted it out.  Strange that they claim it is a problem again....

The software is the same and it seems that the only difference between the models is the brake system.  Hence my question, but it sounds like it is worth it to go for the Fortius!

Hey Zombie

When are you going over?

I'm sure the 'dogg'Wink needs some younger cycling company (yes, its just ou ballies in his racingConfused photos / reports).