Bicycling Magazine

Eugene

Bicycling, its all in the name.

round and round in circles we go.

Bicycling is pretty poor but here i have to stand up for the editorial team; its not entirely their fault. They are part of a large corporation whose primary function is to sell advertising space. The editorials are secondary. we can be lucky theres anything to read in the magazine at all. Fortunately they realise that people have short attention spans and therefore only short articles are allowed.

Tim and I have agreed to disagree over the posed cover shots. When they have a suitable cover shot thats less posed there is always something articficial about the end result. His hands are tied by corporate policy. Forget about the Bicycling survey being used to change things either; the questions are designed to tell the editorial team that everybody loves the magazine and that nothing should be changed. If you want change then dont respond to the reader survey.

The other irritating thing about the cover is that the prerequisite for the model is that he or she has to be "white". I don't recall ever seeing a rider of colour on the cover. I guess only white folk read or rather only  illiterate white folk buy the mag because there is not much to read.

I think RIDE once had Nolan on the cover......could be mistaken.

Because the local rags do not represent the demographics of our sport accurately I prefer instead to purchase, ProCyling, Fiets, O2 Biker, MBA, MBR, Velonews, Bike and a few others I can lay my hands on when travelling. These offer far better bnag for your buck because there are articles of interest. Apparently Mountain BIker is pretty good.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tim

I think its an encouraging sign that you're spending time on the Hub' date=' even though you've logged off now. It means that you are absorbing the kind of things that people who are passionate about cycling are thinking and saying. Perhaps you're getting great ideas for great material. I am not with those who want to end their subs- what a bummer that would be for me when I have every issue since no.1. So I don't want to see the mag criticised in the Hub or anywhere, and I hope that it succeeds with great quality stuff. Oh, and some constructive comment (really)- you must also try and spend time at the Bicycling stand at the expo's and be approachable, instead of having pretty young things standing around who giggle and know nothing about cycling. You could take a page out of Adele Tait's and Attie's book. At the Argus Expo this year I said howzzit to Attie and he remembered me from previous expos and we had a great chat.

So good luck and may your mag get stronger.
[/quote'] Yang go wash your mouth out with soap.............Tim just igore Yang we love the cute little blonde giggly things who know nothing about cycling.................sigh!

Yang go wash your mouth out with soap.............Tim just igore Yang we love the cute little blonde giggly things who know nothing about cycling.................sigh!

LOL LOL LOL

LOLDannyBoi2008-09-22 23:32:17

Yang go wash your mouth out with soap.............Tim just igore Yang we love the cute little blonde giggly things who know nothing about cycling.................sigh!

LOL LOL LOL

LOL

Glad to have at least one person on my side! and if a word was spelt wrong in the dictionary how would we know? Wink

Hi Tim

I think its an encouraging sign that you're spending time on the Hub' date=' even though you've logged off now. It means that you are absorbing the kind of things that people who are passionate about cycling are thinking and saying. Perhaps you're getting great ideas for great material. I am not with those who want to end their subs- what a bummer that would be for me when I have every issue since no.1. So I don't want to see the mag criticised in the Hub or anywhere, and I hope that it succeeds with great quality stuff. Oh, and some constructive comment (really)- you must also try and spend time at the Bicycling stand at the expo's and be approachable, instead of having pretty young things standing around who giggle and know nothing about cycling. You could take a page out of Adele Tait's and Attie's book. At the Argus Expo this year I said howzzit to Attie and he remembered me from previous expos and we had a great chat.

So good luck and may your mag get stronger.
[/quote'] Yang go wash your mouth out with soap.............Tim just igore Yang we love the cute little blonde giggly things who know nothing about cycling.................sigh!

Ummmm... well..... you actually have a point- that must have been one of my dumb momentsEmbarrassed. Tim, why don't you keep the the young blonde giggly things, AND get a couple of people who know about cycling.

PS Spud, have you ever noticed the hard bods on the spinning bikes at the Expos?

Damn you Yang, now I have to sit for a while..................yes I have seen them................yet another big sigh!Wink

I was pleased to get my copy of Ride yesterday - with a black, local (and hugely successful) rider on the cover, and with lots of local content. Nice to see the editor giving feedback on lots of races.  It took me a couple of hours to read, as opposed to the 10 min for the latest Bicycling.

• 2 weeks later...

"Dear Mr,

Your subscription to Bicycling ends soon. Renew your

subscription now, before it expires, with this special offer just for our valued

subscribers. Keep Bicycling coming for as little as R20 an issue. That's R95

off the normal subscription price if you renew before Wednesday,

November 05, 2008!

As you already know Bicycling magazine inspires

and informs cyclists in all key areas including nutrition, skills, training,

gear and where to ride and race. So renew today, to ensure you dont miss a

single issue of the worlds biggest selling bike magazine!!"

Tough decision ahead!!!!

not for me....but why do you save 95 ronts and I only save "that's R 86 off the normal subscription price!"

seems there is something going on here.

i spent $13 on an USA publication of Bicycling and to be honest if this is what's heading to our country then I'm buy Landbou Weekblad. It was shocking!

I agree with spending more to buy international mags as they offer far more indepth knowledge and views with actual decision if product is good or not.

My Fidie cents!