DC Power Stats

bruce

Couldn't let CVANC think I was soft now could I??

LOL That thought never crossed my mind - I have seen how much training you do ConfusedConfused

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

/QUOTE]

The other unknown factor here is how much actual work was done by the rider as part of the team - WB may have sat on the front the whole way and as such done a lot of work for less speed in a weaker team' date=' whereas I may have shared thw work equally and we therefore rode a faster time.

[/quote']

Very true, overall drafting advantage could vary hugely.

Don't confuse the issue. Drafting only plays a role if you were to compare the speeds. From a power perspective, what was measured was what was produced.

We were comparing the speeds - in terms of how much work the rider was doing for the speed ridden. Or how much extra power was required to increase overall speed.

The other unknown factor here is how much actual work was done by the rider as part of the team - WB may have sat on the front the whole way and as such done a lot of work for less speed in a weaker team' date=' whereas I may have shared thw work equally and we therefore rode a faster time.

[/quote']

Yep I sat at the front for the whole 200km Wink

Seriously, although we were all pretty well matched there were only 8 to start with and 7 of us from about 100km on so it was tough.

Overall it does look aas though you did more than your fair share for the team.

It also looks like the first hour was very slow (which cost you) and the third hour was also slow.

Aah, that's cause I have a power meter and "train with power" so I know pretty much know my limits Wink - even though my heart rate was 6-7 bpm higher than usual.  If I'd ridden according to heart rate it would have been a lot slower.

Aah' date=' that's cause I have a power meter and "train with power" so I know pretty much know my limits Wink - even though my heart rate was 6-7 bpm higher than usual.  If I'd ridden according to heart rate it would have been a lot slower.

[/quote']

The other thing I have noticed is that your VI is high at 1.17 - interestingly my VI for 2005 and 2006 was exactly 1.14 and Bruce's for 2006 was also 1.14

In a race like this I would have thought a lower VI would lead to a better chance of a higher sustained power as a result of less peaks eating into AWC.

Given that you look to have done a fair bit of the work - why do you think that this might be the case ?

I wonder if Saris or Cycleops - whoever it is that owns the firmware in the computer will add a real time power to weight option.

The Ergomo allows you to do this, but I think it would be a bit mentally taxing to see numbers like 3.51, 3.45, 3.22 flashing on your display.

The other thing I have noticed is that your VI is high at 1.17 - interestingly my VI for 2005 and 2006 was exactly 1.14 and Bruce's for 2006 was also 1.14

In a race like this I would have thought a lower VI would lead to a better chance of a higher sustained power as a result of less peaks eating into AWC.

Given that you look to have done a fair bit of the work - why do you think that this might be the case ?

I'm not sure but if I look at the data by the hour and relate that to what I remember about the terrain it might be to do with the fact that I didn't pedal much on the downhills??? The 2nd and 7th hours have a very high VI. One more reason why I wish the PT had an altitude sensor.

I wonder if Saris or Cycleops - whoever it is that owns the firmware in the computer will add a real time power to weight option.

The Ergomo allows you to do this' date=' but I think it would be a bit mentally taxing to see numbers like 3.51, 3.45, 3.22 flashing on your display.
[/quote']

Can you set the w/kg display on the ergomo to a slower "rolling average"?

The Ergomo allows you to do this' date=' but I think it would be a bit mentally taxing to see numbers like 3.51, 3.45, 3.22 flashing on your display.
[/quote']

Can you set the w/kg display on the ergomo to a slower "rolling average"?

The Ergomo displays a 5 second rolling average so the display is pretty smooth.

I'm not sure but if I look at the data by the hour and relate that to what I remember about the terrain it might be to do with the fact that I didn't pedal much on the downhills??? The 2nd and 7th hours have a very high VI. One more reason why I wish the PT had an altitude sensor.

I think we all were trying hard not to pedal on the downhills - looks to me like there were times when either you had to jump hard to get back on the line or that your pace line was not as smooth as it might have been - leading to you closing gaps and using energy here.

What we do know is that your pacing for the terrrian was not as smooth as it might have been and this may have cost you time.

the times have been adjusted down by 2mins or so by winningtime. richard kane are under 5.30 now

Yes, and they've found our missing rider - do you think they read these forums??

Another interesting point is that BikeMax's distance and mine are almost identical.  My time is 5:32 and not 5:35 as per WinningTime' date=' Bikemax was even harder done by - 6:05 whereas WinningTime gives 6:11!![/quote']

Unless he has his PT stop recording when speed & power not detected - possibly stopped for a puncture / water etc?

Cyclingpeaks still gives the correct overall duration.

Here's one that I never noticed before.

The summary below the ranges window displays the ride time but the chart shows the total elapsed time. My ride time was 6:41:58 and the elapsed time was 6:55:22

I think we all were trying hard not to pedal on the downhills - looks to me like there were times when either you had to jump hard to get back on the line or that your pace line was not as smooth as it might have been - leading to you closing gaps and using energy here.

What we do know is that your pacing for the terrrian was not as smooth as it might have been and this may have cost you time.

I'm getting out of my depth now but this was the first ride that we all did together so yep the paceline wasn't perfect by any means - there was a lot of variability.

Here's my PT breakdown...

Full Race:

Duration:      5:59:36

Work:          4084 kJ

TSS:           363.3 (intensity factor 0.779)

Norm Power:    214

VI:            1.13

Distance:      201.78 km

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           0    720    190     watts

Heart rate:      50    226    131     bpm

Cadence:         29    141    76     rpm

Speed:           0    81.4    33.7     kph

Pace             0:44    0:00    1:47     min/km

Hub Torque:      0    38    8.2     lb-in

Crank Torque:    0    147.5    24.6     N-m

Hour 1:

Duration:      1:00:01

Work:          703 kJ

TSS:           60.1 (intensity factor 0.775)

Norm Power:    213

VI:            1.09

Distance:      39.453 km

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           0    685    195     watts

Heart rate:      50    219    160     bpm

Cadence:         30    141    77     rpm

Speed:           5.9    54.2    39.4     kph

Pace             1:06    10:10    1:31     min/km

Hub Torque:      0    22.1    6.1     lb-in

Crank Torque:    0    80.8    25.0     N-m

Hour 2:

Work:          689 kJ

TSS:           62.6 (intensity factor 0.791)

Norm Power:    218

VI:            1.14

Distance:      32.897 km

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           0    665    192     watts

Heart rate:      70    213    139     bpm

Cadence:         32    141    79     rpm

Speed:           7.1    56    32.9     kph

Pace             1:04    8:27    1:49     min/km

Hub Torque:      0    36.3    8.0     lb-in

Crank Torque:    0    88.5    24.0     N-m

Hour 3:

Work:          692 kJ

TSS:           64.7 (intensity factor 0.805)

Norm Power:    221

VI:            1.15

Distance:      30.352 km

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           0    693    193     watts

Heart rate:      57    226    131     bpm

Cadence:         29    141    79     rpm

Speed:           10.4    63.8    30.4     kph

Pace             0:56    5:46    1:58     min/km

Hub Torque:      0    31.4    9.5     lb-in

Crank Torque:    0    147.5    24.0     N-m

Hour 4:

Duration:      1:00:06

Work:          681 kJ

TSS:           58.1 (intensity factor 0.762)

Norm Power:    209

VI:            1.11

Distance:      29.635 km

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           0    481    189     watts

Heart rate:      60    154    125     bpm

Cadence:         32    141    76     rpm

Speed:           11.5    66.1    29.6     kph

Pace             0:54    5:13    2:02     min/km

Hub Torque:      0    29.9    9.0     lb-in

Crank Torque:    0    65.9    24.6     N-m

Hour 5:

Duration:      1:00:06

Work:          710 kJ

TSS:           58.9 (intensity factor 0.767)

Norm Power:    211

VI:            1.07

Distance:      27.833 km

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           0    551    197     watts

Heart rate:      53    160    107     bpm

Cadence:         32    141    71     rpm

Speed:           9    61.4    27.8     kph

Pace             0:59    6:40    2:10     min/km

Hub Torque:      0    38    10.7     lb-in

Crank Torque:    0    90.8    27.3     N-m

Hour 6:

Duration:      59:23

Work:          609 kJ

TSS:           58.8 (intensity factor 0.773)

Norm Power:    213

VI:            1.24

Distance:      41.635 km

Min    Max    Avg

Power:           0    720    172     watts

Heart rate:      74    158    112     bpm

Cadence:         29    138    72     rpm

Speed:           0    81.4    42.1     kph

Pace             0:44    0:00    1:26     min/km

Hub Torque:      0    25.2    5.9     lb-in

Crank Torque:    0    79.8    23.0     N-m

Interestingly, IF is also 0.78, same as BikeMax, but I know I had something more left in the tank, whereas he was dying.

I should also add that I'm 62kg.