DIY Cree LED bike light

mountain_lion

ML are you intending to make this available as a kit? I don't mind doing my own assembly etc. but don't have the time and resources to source components and manufacture the hardware.

If you are prepared to make up the machined parts and sell it as a kit and if the price is reasonable I would be interested in 2.

IanJ

I'm also busy building cree lights. Getting the housings machined so not doing it myself, if you're interested I can machine a few extra.

Don't have enough leds and drivers to give you all the parts so you'll have to order em yourself from cutter.

Will let you know once I have a price on the machining of the housing. Will prob open m a thread with my first light and the new one with the nicer housing.

I have my first one for about two months now and it's an absolute pleasure to ride with it. My topspeed with the light in jonkerhoek is about 64km/h so there's enough light!!!!!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice lights.

What are the sku( model) number for the 3 in one lens from dealextreme?

Dealextreme have the18650 batteries for $10 for 2, normal charger for about $8 and a balance one to charge all types of batteries for about $33. Latest PayPal conversion you have to devide by 0.12 for Rands.

sampie2008-09-29 06:08:58

ML are you intending to make this available as a kit? I don't mind doing my own assembly etc. but don't have the time and resources to source components and manufacture the hardware.

If you are prepared to make up the machined parts and sell it as a kit and if the price is reasonable I would be interested in 2.

IanJ

I'm also busy building cree lights. Getting the housings machined so not doing it myself' date=' if you're interested I can machine a few extra.

Don't have enough leds and drivers to give you all the parts so you'll have to order em yourself from cutter.

Will let you know once I have a price on the machining of the housing. Will prob open m a thread with my first light and the new one with the nicer housing.

I have my first one for about two months now and it's an absolute pleasure to ride with it. My topspeed with the light in jonkerhoek is about 64km/h so there's enough light!!!!!
[/quote']

Cool, look forward to hearing from you.

Fellow Hubbers....

I've just browsed through the LED lights posts.

Has anyone tried batteries & chargers from Radio Controlled Planes/Heli's for the projects?

Two quick links for the batteries (Google...):

http://www.rchelimad.co.za/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=2&Itemid=93

http://www.electricheli.co.za/category.aspx?categoryID=15

If it's light enough for RC heli's & planes, then surely it will be light enough for cycling.

Just an idea....

What are the sku( model) number for the 3 in one lens from dealextreme?

Shocked Oi' date=' you want to be spoon fed...

Welcome to dealextreme's world of minimum information...

You just have to take a guess most of the time. Some times you order things that you do not use in the end. I have a few lenses for which I still need to find a use...

I used sku1916 with my round heat sink.

Dealextreme have the18650 batteries for $10 for 2, normal charger for about $8 and a balance one to charge all types of batteries for about $33. Latest PayPal conversion you have to devide by 0.12 for Rands.

Will be nice if you order those and let us know how they perform.

I had a look at them too, but decided against it because:

• not sure about quality & actual capacity rating

• not clear if any protection circuitry is included
  • no solder tags to easily wire into battery pack
  • no battery holders available for 18650 type batteries

mountain_lion2008-09-29 11:58:33

Fellow Hubbers....

I've just browsed through the LED lights posts.

Has anyone tried batteries & chargers from Radio Controlled Planes/Heli's for the projects?

RC batteries will work, but did you notice the cost!?

In general the RC / hobby shops are a rip-off.

To be fair, it should also be noted that most RC toys draw high load currents for a short period, while a LED bicycle light draws a lower current for a longer time.

Battery current for my lights is less than 1A.

1A from a 2200mAh battery is 0.45C.

Some RC toys draw 50A+ i.e. more than 22C for a 2200mAh battery!

This calls for a different (and more expensive) type of battery.

Laptop batteries are a more suitable alternative for bicycle lights.

RC batteries will work' date=' but did you notice the cost!?
In general the RC / hobby shops are a rip-off.

To be fair, it should also be noted that most RC toys draw high load currents for a short period, while a LED bicycle light draws a lower current for a longer time.

Battery current for my lights is less than 1A.
1A from a 2200mAh battery is 0.45C.

Some RC toys draw 50A+ i.e. more than 22C for a 2200mAh battery!
This calls for a different (and more expensive) type of battery.

Laptop batteries are a more suitable alternative for bicycle lights.

[/quote']

Mountain_Lion ... if you require 2200mAh RC batteries, what I would suggest is to ask the electric RC on-road community some of these battery ... I know that by now, this community possibly race on 4800mAh battery, so they will even give away 2200mAh battery packs ... you can check on www.sarda.org.za website, there is a forum and you can ask .. Generally these packs are NiMH battery packs ... But yes you are right, RC shops are a BIG RIP-OFF coming to the purchase of these battery packs ...

Thanks ML for the sku model. I think RC Helicopters use Lithium Polymer cells, very effective for MTB but $$$$$$.  I got some of the 18650 (2500mah) from DX a while back, very impressed. Only con is like you said, no holder or solder tags. I use it with a Cree Q5 Flashlight(sku14027) that i ordered from DX aswell, its draws about 800mah and lasts about 6 hours. I'm waiting for my P7 Flashlight (sku12060), saw a video on Youtube with this light on a MTB, very nice.

I got some of the 18650 (2500mah) from DX a while back' date=' very impressed. Only con is like you said, no holder or solder tags. I use it with a Cree Q5 Flashlight(sku14027) that i ordered from DX aswell, its draws about 800mah and lasts about 6 hours. I'm waiting for my P7 Flashlight (sku12060), saw a video on Youtube with this light on a MTB, very nice.

[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback on the 18650 battery (which DX sku do you have)?

Does it have protection circuitry?

However something does not sound right here... Confused

I assume you mean your light draws 800mA (not mAh).

800mA x 6h = 4800 mAh from a battery rated for 2500mAh ???

Normally battery manufactures are very optimistic about their capacity ratings, not the other way round....

I had a look at sku 14027 and for a change DX provides some specs. They claim 800mA load current and 3 hours run time (but do not say from which battery).

They rate it 800 ma but i think its drawing less, the light are very bright but far from the full 230 lum which it are rated at, thats why the light last for about 5 hours, a very nice spot which through far but no a lot of spill, a lot brighter than my 10w Sigma.

I can see the extra circuitry (protection) at the ends of the battery.Its a sku5790.

Received a P7 flashlight from DX. Here are 2 shots comparing it to my Sigma EvoX 10w. Bakkies 25m away, ISO100, 2sec shutter. Sony dch2.

20081007_014026_sigma10w.JPG20081007_014134_P7High.JPG
sampie2008-10-07 01:47:37

Received a P7 flashlight from DX. Here are 2 shots comparing it to my Sigma EvoX 10w. Bakkies 25m away' date=' ISO100, 2sec shutter. Sony dch2.

[/quote']

Properties for above pics lists F4, 4sec ??

(which is the same as for my pics earlier in this thread)

Looks bright!

Is that from a single LED?

DX SKU?

I guess that is at a high (> 1A) drive current, so run time might be an issue...

OK, the DX sku is at the top of the page.

And being P7 this will be a "single" LED, but multi die, so should be compared to something like the Cree MCE.

Any idea what the drive current is?

Sorry,  took some 2sec ones aswell, photos got mixed,almost looks the same. Took a reading at the switch, 980ma on high. I ran it for a hour and still no dimming. For sure not 900 lum, think P7 needs about 2.8a for that, but stil very bright. Gonna try to make a batterypack(4 x18650 in par) to extend runtime on high. Made the mistake to look into the led while on high, wont do it again.

• 4 months later...

hi guys,

nice work mountain_lion - on both setups!

was about to ask where you got everything from, but then decided to read the rest of the thread first!

Have you ever bought from Rabtron? http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/index.php?cPath=41_409_349

Been looking for somewhere to get highpower LEDs from and have had annoying experiences with the SA post office, but if importing is the best option then so be it... (will def check out the suppliers you mentioned)

The reason I ask, is 'cause I want to build (fairly) similar setup, but for a Lotus 7 :)

do you reckon your driver would handle the (fluctuating) current from a car battery?

I'd be aiming for 2x min 1000 lumen headlights.

hi guys' date='

?? nice work mountain_lion - on both setups!

was about to ask where you got everything from, but then decided to read the rest of the thread first!Have you ever bought from Rabtron? http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/index.php?cPath=41_409_349?Been looking for somewhere to get highpower LEDs from and have had annoying experiences with the SA post office, but if importing is the best option then so be it... (will def check out the suppliers you mentioned)

The reason I ask, is 'cause I want to build (fairly) similar setup, but for a Lotus 7 :)do you reckon your driver would handle the (fluctuating) current from a car battery?

I'd be aiming for 2x min 1000 lumen headlights.

[/quote']

For a car headlight you'd be better off using a lumidrives buckpuck. PM me if you want to know more...