Floating disks... what is it????

Guest Big H

Hope Disk Brakes offer a floating disk option for their brakes. What is it and what is the advantages?????.

Thanx in advance for the advice.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like the motor bike discs, the actual braking portion is free to move from left to right, just the braking track as I recall though. Cool idea, not entirely certain if I'm sold on the idea though.

Well, they are the blingiest brakes around at the moment. Incredibly adjustable, super light, take them and you won't regret it. What shifters are you using? If you use the X.0 or the 2007 X.9 you get a little adaptor that the shifter then attaches to the brake instead of to the bar, it really cleans up the control area, looks good.

As far as performance goes, a friend of mine just did this exact upgrade, and he says they've solved the squealing hickup he used to have with the 7's. But that's just hearsay, and not scientific at all (for when GoLefty reads this)

GoLefty can't be here - he should be on the road doing a training ride.

I have the Shimano Deore shifters on. Embarrassed

You're gonna have to upgrade to 2007 X.9 then, with a 2006 X.9 rear mech, not expensive but very effective!

Juicy 5's are Juicy 7's without the finicky adjustable bits, therefor with all the performance and with less stuff to go wrong. Juicy 5's win in my opnion.

You're gonna have to upgrade to 2007 X.9 then' date=' with a 2006 X.9 rear mech, not expensive but very effective![/quote']

Do I need to replace the cassette also with SRAM?

No need to replace the Cassette, this isn't Shimano and Campy who've been at war with each other for 50 years! The Shifters and rear mech's aren't interchangeable, but everything else is.

SRAM X.9 drivetrain

SRAM?s X.9 componentry received a major overhaul for 2007, bringing it even closer in performance to its top-end X.0 group. The new trigger shifters feature X.0 styling with adjustable clamp positioning and a removable clamshell. More importantly, shifter internals are nearly identical as well for a substantially more solid feel and faster gear changes courtesy of SRAM?s Zero Loss Travel design. Inevitably, some cost-cutting measures are employed so the X.9 triggers do without the cartridge bearings, carbon fiber, and adjustable pull lever of their big brother. Weight on our test pair is 229g without the included Teflon-coated cables.

The X.9 rear derailleur receives a similarly significant revamp as well, with a new forged aluminum B-knuckle for greater impact strength, cartridge bearing pulleys, and X.0 styling. ?Super short?, medium, and long cage varieties will all be offered.

New for ?07 is an X.9 front derailleur, which is based on last year?s X-Gen model but with a more upscale finish and lighter weight courtesy of a milled-out cage and specific top-pull/bottom-pull varieties. Owners of old-school steel frames are, unfortunately, out of luck as the new derailleur will only readily fit 31.8mm and 34.9mm diameter seat tubes.

Weight for our top-pull 34.9mm front derailleur is 167g,while the long cage rear derailleur hits the scales at 223g.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/newarrivals/11-29/SRAM_X.9_rear_derailleur.jpg

The new X.9 rear derailleur now uses a forged aluminum B-knuckle for better impact resistance.

TitusTi - I bought a 2007 XTR wheelset, somebody just mompled something that Juicy doesn't have a centrelock?

It's all geek - what does this mean?